I'm getting fired from my law grad job :(

Watch this thread
Lalallqlalal8
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I started a grad job few months ago and I was really excited in learning and kick starting my career but things have not been going well. There is no training, my colleagues get annoyed when I ask questions and the work I am doing is is very basic. I spoke to my supervisor about receiving some training but he said all training is done on the job. I try doing things myself by googling things but my work is never good enough for clients who complain directly to my supervisor. I get placed on team projects without being briefed and asked to attend meetings half an hour before they start. I have a lot of anxiety about client work because I know they are not happy with me being onsite assisting my colleagues. I feel useless and frustrated because I am trying really hard but i feel like no one is listening. I want to leave but getting a new job is hard because of the long application process that comes with entry level grad jobs. Recently one of my colleagues has strated to talk down to me every time she sets me a task he follows up with 'do you think you can manage that'. She also corrects the way I speak in front of other colleagues and nit picks my emails. She seems very supportive when my supervisor is around but when he leaves she becomes extremely patronising and barks one word responses at me when I ask a question.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Is this normal for entry level people. I want to leave but I'm scared about having a negative reference and I am currently struggling in securing another job because of Covid and everyone working remotely.
Bigboyyoussef
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Don’t worry there are other jobs out there
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lalallqlalal8)
I started a grad job few months ago and I was really excited in learning and kick starting my career but things have not been going well. There is no training, my colleagues get annoyed when I ask questions and the work I am doing is is very basic. I spoke to my supervisor about receiving some training but he said all training is done on the job. I try doing things myself by googling things but my work is never good enough for clients who complain directly to my supervisor. I get placed on team projects without being briefed and asked to attend meetings half an hour before they start. I have a lot of anxiety about client work because I know they are not happy with me being onsite assisting my colleagues. I feel useless and frustrated because I am trying really hard but i feel like no one is listening. I want to leave but getting a new job is hard because of the long application process that comes with entry level grad jobs. Recently one of my colleagues has strated to talk down to me every time she sets me a task he follows up with 'do you think you can manage that'. She also corrects the way I speak in front of other colleagues and nit picks my emails. She seems very supportive when my supervisor is around but when he leaves she becomes extremely patronising and barks one word responses at me when I ask a question.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Is this normal for entry level people. I want to leave but I'm scared about having a negative reference and I am currently struggling in securing another job because of Covid and everyone working remotely.
Sounds like you've encountered the real world after years of being sheltered by education.

You can't complain about only being given basic work, and also that there's no training, and also that you aren't doing it well.

It's called work because you have to work at it. You never got paid to be educated because it was spoon fed to you. People get paid to work because they have to work at it, they have to use their own skills, experience, judgement, effort, focus, initiative to get the work done.

What on earth is wrong with being asked to join meetings with only half an hour's notice? Sounds like people are trying to join you in to things to develop your knowledge.

Worrying about long application processes is pointless, that's what employers want - get on with it now, juggle your priorities. It sounds like you haven't understood how the workplace operates, but there's absolutely nothing that sounds odd about what's going on. So consider in your application search, what sort of role might be better for you.
laverdad
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Is this a training contract role? Or are you working as a paralegal?

Lawyers are notoriously for being very meticulous when it comes to things like typos and punctuation; whereas, in other jobs you can type in comic sans in emails and nobody cares either way. It just comes with the legal territory.
Lalallqlalal8
Rep:
(Original post by laverdad)
Is this a training contract role? Or are you working as a paralegal?

Lawyers are notoriously for being very meticulous when it comes to things like typos and punctuation; whereas, in other jobs you can type in comic sans in emails and nobody cares either way. It just comes with the legal territory.
It's a small procurement consultancy
Dnsnnssn
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Your colleague should not be patronising or rude to you, whilst u need to have a thick skin at work if it is someone who constantly puts u down think about making a complaint if it really bothers u.However dont take it personally, most likely that is just her personality. Ad for everything else, it is normal to make mistakes, and as an entry job it is inevitable, just try to limit them and learn from them.Try not to get anxious about what the clients think if you, its not up to them what work u do. Be professional at all times, work hard and learn from your mistakes.And keep applying if u really hate it, but this is mostly normal
laverdad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It's a small procurement consultancy
You're young, you've got years ahead of you. Clearly this role isn't working out for you or for your colleagues, who don't exactly seem that supportive.
Sometimes, it is best to cut your loses and head for pastures new after reflecting on your strengths and motivations. Best of luck.
Lalallqlalal8
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Sounds like you've encountered the real world after years of being sheltered by education.

You can't complain about only being given basic work, and also that there's no training, and also that you aren't doing it well.

It's called work because you have to work at it. You never got paid to be educated because it was spoon fed to you. People get paid to work because they have to work at it, they have to use their own skills, experience, judgement, effort, focus, initiative to get the work done.

What on earth is wrong with being asked to join meetings with only half an hour's notice? Sounds like people are trying to join you in to things to develop your knowledge.

Worrying about long application processes is pointless, that's what employers want - get on with it now, juggle your priorities. It sounds like you haven't understood how the workplace operates, but there's absolutely nothing that sounds odd about what's going on. So consider in your application search, what sort of role might be better for you.
I understand the reality of working, I have had other jobs in customer service with people screaming at me all day everyday because their cigarettes were not in stock or their vegan tofu curry was sold out and we only had sweet chilli tofu curry in stock. All I asked for was training for three weeks when I initially joined the company so that I could work independently without asking anyone for help and following my colleagues. Which is the bare minimum especially since the job was promoted as a graduate scheme and salary was lowered because of amazing training opportunities. The reason why I complain about the lack of warning for meetings is because clients ask me questions during meetings and sometimes I am asked to deliver on the work the company has been doing for that specific client. It takes hours to plough through the work done (reports, data ect) and prepare points for delivery. Colleagues who know of meetings have weeks to prepare. The basic work is because I want training so that I can actually get on with things I was told I would be doing during the interview.
Dnsnnssn
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I understand the reality of working, I have had other jobs in customer service with people screaming at me all day everyday because their cigarettes were not in stock or their vegan tofu curry was sold out and we only had sweet chilli tofu curry in stock. All I asked for was training for three weeks when I initially joined the company so that I could work independently without asking anyone for help and following my colleagues. Which is the bare minimum especially since the job was promoted as a graduate scheme and salary was lowered because of amazing training opportunities. The reason why I complain about the lack of warning for meetings is because clients ask me questions during meetings and sometimes I am asked to deliver on the work the company has been doing for that specific client. It takes hours to plough through the work done (reports, data ect) and prepare points for delivery. Colleagues who know of meetings have weeks to prepare. The basic work is because I want training so that I can actually get on with things I was told I would be doing during the interview.
Sounds like you should raise the notice having enough time to prepare for meetings with some one more senior.

Be proactive.
Dnsnnssn
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by laverdad)
You're young, you've got years ahead of you. Clearly this role isn't working out for you or for your colleagues, who don't exactly seem that supportive.
Sometimes, it is best to cut your loses and head for pastures new after reflecting on your strengths and motivations. Best of luck.
Lol bad advice.

This is just their first professional job, they will take some time getting used to it.
username5050312
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Dnsnnssn)
Lol bad advice.

This is just their first professional job, they will take some time getting used to it.
I don't think it's bad advice. And you're just assuming that OP is exaggerating their true circumstances, which may not be the case.
Lalallqlalal8
Rep:
Sounds like you should raise the notice having enough time to prepare for meetings with some one more senior.

Be proactive.
I did lol. So many times. It goes in one ear and comes out of the other
mystudentlife
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
This thread is scaring me for when I leave education And have to get a job LMAOOO
laverdad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Lol bad advice.

Maybe some people are happy to stay at a job where they will be miserable. I just don't think that way of life would be beneficial for the OP or the employer either.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
This is the difference between professional vs service work though, which I've recently discovered - you don't generally get formalised training for the former because usually you are being hired for your ability to be able to figure it out yourself, rather than specific prior knowledge or simply being a body they can throw at customers. I can sympathise with your feelings but threeportdrift is right that this is pretty much just what work in a corporate environment rather than service role is. It is stressful at first until you figure things out for sure (and then again if you get moved to a different project or something) but that's part and parcel of the job.

Also I would note that while people may have known of the meetings for weeks before, they definitely won't have been exclusively preparing for that meeting and may have only done half an hour or an hour of preparation for it (if any) beforehand. People have lots of meetings in corporate environments - some people end up just back to back meetings almost all day. It's basically impossible for them to "prepare" extensively for all of those, so it's a case of prioritising which you need to be preparing for because you'll be actively presenting and which you just need to be there and switched on and aware of whats happening in the company generally to contribute if needed.

Agree with the above though your colleague shouldn't be belittling you at work. This might be something to raise with HR. If you do feel like you aren't getting enough training you can ask HR also what training opportunities are offered or what support there might be. It's not going to be like in a service role where you get a period of dedicated training around your particular role then go to it, it'll be more that as indicated to you you're expected to pick it up on the job, but they might have specific e-learning packages available that could be helpful (probably more about e.g. using company software and systems or stuff to do with data protection and so on, but it's still something).
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mystudentlife)
This thread is scaring me for when I leave education And have to get a job LMAOOO
Become a teacher and you can never leave school :cool:
mystudentlife
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
Become a teacher and you can never leave school :cool:
Ooo good idea 💡
Augustino D
Badges: 12
Report 4 months ago

They should be providing you with instructions prior to each task and offering to answer any questions you have in full and without judgment or ridicule. If they are unable to do that then they are failing at their job.

Some of the other things are not uncommon for trainees - for example, it's quite common for juniors to be dropped into matters at short notice, or have their drafting torn apart, or the 'google' answer being woefully inadequate.

You need to tell us more about what kind of role it is because it strikes me as odd that you refer to it as a "law" role and a "graduate" role and yet you clearly do not know how conduct your own research?
Dnsnnssn
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I did lol. So many times. It goes in one ear and comes out of the other
Then keep applying for other jobs, whilst working hard here.
Dnsnnssn
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
I don't think it's bad advice. And you're just assuming that OP is exaggerating their true circumstances, which may not be the case.
I didn't assume anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads