Is a 2:1 achievable for my final year

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I received a 2:2 overall for my 2nd year which accounts for 33% of my final grade. Is a 2:1 still achievable for me? I’m seriously stressing.
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I received a 2:2 overall for my 2nd year which accounts for 33% of my final grade. Is a 2:1 still achievable for me? I’m seriously stressing.
How much does your final year make up? I'm not in uni, but I know it's weighted more heavily
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
Yes.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Yes, but there's a lot of devil in the detail. What was your overall mark for second year?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
How much does your final year make up? I'm not in uni, but I know it's weighted more heavily
63% and I have 6 modules (2 x 30 credits and 4 x 15 credits)

I didn’t do great in my first 15 credit module which is getting me worried.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Yes, but there's a lot of devil in the detail. What was your overall mark for second year?
57.75%
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
57.75%
You therefore need to average 61.125 in your third year to achieve 60 overall.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
57.75%
PS Most universities have methods of upgrading near misses. These usually take the form of you needing to get 58/59.x and have a certain number of credits in third year at 2.1 or higher. You might therefore get away with a slightly lower average but you need to check your degree regulations for the rules.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Yes it is possible. My math is not the greatest but I think if you get a 2:1 in all your assignments this year then you will achieve a 2:1 overall.

This is some advice I've given to other students that I feel you may find helpful in how to improve your academic writing:

The best thing to do is to stick to your learning outcomes (LO's). This is what your tutor will be marking against. What I do is aim for the 70+ outcome, so try and do your essay according to the 70+ LO and then you're likely to at least get a 2:1.

Make sure that you use lots of different refences: make a point in your essay using evidence then make a counter argument backed up by research/evidence before using other evidence to either invalidate your counter argument or make a point in support of the first argument. This way you will be using critical evaluation/writing which is what they want to see in your third year.

This site provides some helpful advice to better academic writing: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/academicwriting and this provides some simple resources: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/c.php?g=673603&p=4829958.

Also, don't try to pack everything in (something I used to do a lot!) as then you can't go into detail of, for example, a policy or theory. Best thing to do is make a few detailed points with lots of evidence and citations and then use these to make insightful explanations/interpretations.

Your university may have skills sessions around academic writing, critical writing (which is what you need to do in order to achieve the best marks) and about understanding LO's and using these to make the best out of your essay, and if they do then you should attend them! I have and they are very helpful.

To work on your assignment you could go to the library with other students to do your work together, as it can be motivating when others around you are working, or if you find it better to work alone, go to the library by yourself in order to be able to concentrate more fully.

I hope this helped, best of luck in your coming assignments.

- Rosie
Last edited by hallamstudents; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (138)
26.04%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.3%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads