PM to chair new 'Council of the Nations' with governments of devolved nations

Watch
richard10012
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Between the four nations, what is the point of this new meeting with the four nations?

VT clarification: This relates to the announcement of a 'Council of the Nations' as described here: https://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...engthen-union/
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 1 week ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
It would help if you told us what meeting you're on about...
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
He's hiding at home and he's chairing nothing,
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by richard10012)
Between the four nations, what is the point of this new meeting with the four nations?
He needs to rally the troops as the media is milking the Number 10 lockdown parties that happened months ago.
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...ers/cobr-cobra
mondays child
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Meetings between the four nations on the Covid 19 response have taken place on a number of occasions. Michael Gove chaired one I think just before Christmas.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I'm not sure this is necessarily news, save for that he usually gets Michael Gove (as Levelling Up secretary) or Steve Barclay (as Cabinet Office minister) to chair the meeting, as Johnson usually can't bring himself to meet the first ministers himself.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm not sure this is necessarily news, save for that he usually gets Michael Gove (as Levelling Up secretary) or Steve Barclay (as Cabinet Office minister) to chair the meeting, as Johnson usually can't bring himself to meet the first ministers himself.
There are allegations that Johnson is not a details man. He focuses on the bigger picture and the wider impact. That’s probably why he delegates and selects those are considered as detailed and forensic such as Gove, Barclay or Sunak.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
There are allegations that Johnson is not a details man. He focuses on the bigger picture and the wider impact. That’s probably why he delegates and selects those are considered as detailed and forensic such as Gove, Barclay or Sunak.
Possibly. I'm a bit more cynical (or biased, some might say) and think it's because he doesn't want to treat Sturgeon, Drakeford, Givan and O'Neill as if they're heads of government like his is, so gets a more junior minister to meet with them.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Possibly. I'm a bit more cynical (or biased, some might say) and think it's because he doesn't want to treat Sturgeon, Drakeford, Givan and O'Neill as if they're heads of government like his is, so gets a more junior minister to meet with them.
That’s fair and I would agree with it. I think the current setup is very difficult to manage and the pandemic exposed the cracks in the pseudo-independent system where Sturgeon would lock down her people but beg Johnson for money to support them.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
There's a long-standing issue around formalised structures for intergovernmental relations between the UK Government and devolved administrations.

This is a step forward, but there's a lot to do - and much of it is about culture in the DAs themselves and Whitehall too. The UK Government went from being fairly ignorant of devolution and ignoring its impact to being too deferential to the DAs on their own patches.

If there's going to be more devolution within England, then it's a good time to start thinking about what works and what doesn't.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Finally thanks to Nation.Cymru I've discovered what this new meeting actually is, a 'Council of Nations', though it sounds an awful lot like the old JMC meetings (when they happened).

https://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...engthen-union/

I guess the idea is to be something like the Minsterpräsidentenkonferenz in Germany, where the heads of the state governments and federal government meet together to agree common policies, e.g. on covid regulations.

I'll update the thread title and OP to make clear what this story actually is about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.22%
October 2021 (221)
45.57%
November 2021 (55)
11.34%
December 2021 (62)
12.78%
January 2021 (56)
11.55%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.45%