Is it worth dropping my extra GCSE to get an extra a level?

Watch
Dcuervoaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi! I’m in year 10 right now and I’m a fluent Spanish speaker. Last year I did the gcse and I got a nine, which means I’m currently on track to have 11 GCSEs but I’ve been given the opportunity to drop music for Spanish, with the idea of sitting the a level in year 11 instead of my music gcse. I know I have the level to do the a level course since I’ve gone over it and do a lot of that kind of stuff in my C1 Spanish lessons. I’m just wondering whether it’s worth me dropping music so I’ll have a normal amount of GCSEs but then I could potentially do five a levels and I’m also wondering if there’s more of an advantage to doing an extra gcse or extra a level.

Thanks!
OnlyTheQuack
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
Id take the a level, it would give you many more opertunities, such as taking less in college/ sixth-form and lowering your level of stress. Or like you said, 5 alevels are an option.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
There is no advantage in doing more A-levels than three, and universities up to and including Oxbridge are very clear about this. Doing very well in 3 A-levels is all that is required and is preferred over more average performance over more A-levels. They also don't award "bonus points" for doing extra A-levels (as doing so would disciminate against applicants from schools that can't offer more than 3 A-levels, which tend to be under-performing schools with large proportions of students who are underrepresented in HE).

For GCSEs it is a little less clear cut, in general it won't matter. However for a small number of courses that put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs (some medicine courses, many courses at Oxford [but not Cambridge] and some courses at LSE) it may be beneficial to have more GCSEs is you are confident you can get an 8/9 in them. For the vast majority of courses though whether you did an extra GCSE or not will make no difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads