anonymous_lion
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hey there! I'm applying for comp sci this year with 2A*s. Current apps are: Imperial, Edinburgh, Bath and Bristol (all require 1 or 2 A*s). I think it would be wise to have a safety option. Where would you guys recommend for me?

A few of my preferences: I care a fair bit about the location and social aspect (esp as a Londoner). Also somewhere where the teaching is engaging, I'm very into games design currently. Any questions, please do ask!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Brighton - https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...-bsc-hons.aspx
City - https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-s...mes-technology
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by anonymous_lion)
I'm applying for comp sci this year with 2A*s.
I'm assuming you are taking 3 A levels.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anonymous_lion)
Hey there! I'm applying for comp sci this year with 2A*s. Current apps are: Imperial, Edinburgh, Bath and Bristol (all require 1 or 2 A*s). I think it would be wise to have a safety option. Where would you guys recommend for me?

A few of my preferences: I care a fair bit about the location and social aspect (esp as a Londoner). Also somewhere where the teaching is engaging, I'm very into games design currently. Any questions, please do ask!
Hey!

When I was looking at universities, I made the most of Open Days, video tours and student life blogs to learn more about the location itself. Just like you, I cared heavily about the location (you're going to be living there for 3+ years, it's got to be somewhere you like) - in most cases I focussed on location first and then the course.

Try and look into things to do in the area, the distance between halls of residence and university buildings, night life, etc.

On the engaging teaching front - at university you'll be assessed via both coursework and exam. Different universities may use more coursework than exams whilst others may use more exams than coursework. If you're the type of student that performs better in one than the other, it may be worth playing to your strengths. All of that information should be in each university prospectus or on their website. If you have any queries, reach out to the universities you're interested in - they should be more than happy to give you more information.

Best of luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (70)
12.7%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.63%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.77%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
7.99%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (268)
48.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.27%

Watched Threads