Can you use pilcrows in your personal statement?

Watch this thread
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
To save up on going over the line limit in my UCAS personal statement, are pilcrows permissible and not seen as informal or detracting from the overall quality of the personal statement?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
coco:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I would suggest having lines in between paragraphs as it makes it much easier to read and you could ask for the bits you can't fit in to be included in your UCAS reference. Having said that I have seen some people with a single block of text as their personal statement but I would avoid it if you can!
Tolgash
Rep:
(Original post by coco:))
I would suggest having lines in between paragraphs as it makes it much easier to read and you could ask for the bits you can't fit in to be included in your UCAS reference. Having said that I have seen some people with a single block of text as their personal statement but I would avoid it if you can!
It's just very difficult to take entire lines out, but I guess I'll have to try and do it.

I just thought pilcrows would be good sine they're meant to indicate the end of a paragraph, right?
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
It's just very difficult to take entire lines out, but I guess I'll have to try and do it.

I just thought pilcrows would be good sine they're meant to indicate the end of a paragraph, right?
I'm not too sure if they'll actually be supported on UCAS's software. Also if you're finding it hard to edit your personal statement I would suggest stepping away from it for a few days so that you stop thinking about it. Then when you revisit it you'll see it with fresh eyes and might find some things to be unnecessary. Good luck!
Tolgash
Rep:
(Original post by coco:))
I'm not too sure if they'll actually be supported on UCAS's software. Also if you're finding it hard to edit your personal statement I would suggest stepping away from it for a few days so that you stop thinking about it. Then when you revisit it you'll see it with fresh eyes and might find some things to be unnecessary. Good luck!
Right. My draft includes them, so maybe there's a chance they will be, but I see what you mean.
jray204
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
At the end of the day, the reason for adding paragraph lines in your personal statement is to make the admission officers day, easier. The separation allows for much easier reading, and the last thing an admissions officer wants to see after a long day of reading personal statements is another wall of text. Adding pilcrows will not help with this and so it is most advisable to use separate lines.
Tolgash
Rep:
Thanks for your help!

coco:) and jray204, for titles of novels and plays, should I just enclose them in inverted commas? I usually italicise them, but I realise that I can't do that on UCAS.
jray204
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for your help!

coco:) and jray204, for titles of novels and plays, should I just enclose them in inverted commas? I usually italicise them, but I realise that I can't do that on UCAS.
Yep that sounds fine!
Tolgash
Rep:
(Original post by jray204)
Yep that sounds fine!
Right. Thanks once again!
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for your help!

yh I did that with mine!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for your help!

alternatively, underscore on each side: _Anna Karenina_
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
UCAS formatting allows for very few characters that aren't letters - and the line count will be different to what you are using in Word. Copy and paste your PS into UCAS to see what happens. You can then look for lines that are short and see what you can condense, or even look at deleting whole sentences that aren't necessary
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
There will be a lot in your PS that isn't necessary or can be said in more concise sentences. I thought mine was ok, it was reviewed by teachers and they also said it was very good. It was wasn't until it was (brutally ripped apart 🤣) reviewed by TSR and I looked at it again through their eyes that it became clear how much was just noise/waffle.

Reduce the waffle and put in paragraphs.

Recommend trying the TSR review service if there is still time before the deadline. Make sure you post in the right area so it isnt public!!!!
Last edited by BlackLab; 3 months ago
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you rewrite and condense you will be surprised at the lines you can get rid of.
Tolgash
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
There will be a lot in your PS that isn't necessary or can be said in more concise sentences. I thought mine was ok, it was reviewed by teachers and they also said it was very good. It was wasn't until it was (brutally ripped apart 🤣) reviewed by TSR and I looked at it again through their eyes that it became clear how much was just noise/waffle.

Reduce the waffle and put in paragraphs.

Recommend trying the TSR review service if there is still time before the deadline. Make sure you post in the right area so it isnt public!!!!
Thanks. I've managed to reduce the lines and have put spaces between paragraphs. I would consider the service, but it's very close to the deadline, and I think I'll send off what I've got.
Last edited by Tolgash; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (8)
25%
The paper was reasonable (13)
40.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (9)
28.13%
It was TERRIBLE (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed