obsolentbutcool
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi, i have always wanted to become a doctor more specifically a GP but having read many things on the internet concerning men who have beards not achieving the standards for bacteria and pathogen spread prevention because the fit of a mask isnt good. So i was wondering does anyone know if doctors can have beards (not the stubble ones like actual lengthy beards maybe a hands length) because i keep mine for religious reasons and which specialities are more likely to not allow beards for example i know in radiology having a beard isnt a big deal.
megamanzega
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by obsolentbutcool)
Hi, i have always wanted to become a doctor more specifically a GP but having read many things on the internet concerning men who have beards not achieving the standards for bacteria and pathogen spread prevention because the fit of a mask isnt good. So i was wondering does anyone know if doctors can have beards (not the stubble ones like actual lengthy beards maybe a hands length) because i keep mine for religious reasons and which specialities are more likely to not allow beards for example i know in radiology having a beard isnt a big deal.
you might wanna ask the beard forum here.

dont masks not work well when u got a big ass beard?
Last edited by megamanzega; 4 days ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
ecolier ?
meddad
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by obsolentbutcool)
The British Medical Association say:

I wear a beard for religious reasons - am I required to remove it?

FFP3 masks are recommended to protect staff who may be exposed to COVID-19 from aerosolised pathogens. These require the removal of beards to fit effectively.

A policy requiring beard removal will have more of an impact on doctors who have a religious obligation to wear a beard. Under the Equality Act 2010, a policy that may have a negative impact on a certain group is justifiable if it is a proportionate way of meeting a legitimate organisational need (eg health and safety).

In deciding if a requirement to shave is proportionate, your employer must consider the impact shaving would have upon you (eg the psychological impact of abandoning a religious practice) and balance this against the needs to protect the health and safety of others. In our view any requirement to remove a beard is likely to be highly exceptional. If there is an alternative way to meet those needs then it is unlikely to be proportionate.

You should ask if alternative PPE can be made available for you, such as a PAPR (powered air purifying respirator) hood that provides the same protection as FFP3. Be aware it may difficult for your employer to access them at this time. You will also need to be trained on how to use, clean and re-use it effectively.

Or, you could also ask whether, because of your religious obligations, you can be exempted from tasks that require the highest level PPE.
obsolentbutcool
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by megamanzega)
you might wanna ask the beard forum here.

dont masks not work well when u got a big ass beard?
Yeah the masks are not as effective when someone has a beard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.9%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.32%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads