The Student Room Group

Can I get financial support as an apprentice?

Hi everyone. I have searched the Internet but can't get a straight answer. I will be taking a huge transition from working at my full time job as a veterinary assistant to completing an apprenticeship with the RVC to train as a veterinary nurse and gain my lifelong qualification which is a dream for me. I will be going from £22,000 to £15,600 per year which is a little scary. I am determined to make it work as I want to become a veterinary nurse. I have chosen this route as I've been struggling to get enrolled at college or even at university.

So here's my living situation. I (22) live with my mum (58) who doesn't work (isn't fit to work due to mental health) and gets housing benefit, she also has a severely broken arm at the moment. My brother (27) also doesn't work and does not claim any benefits. My sister (30) works but is moving to her new house very soon to start her own life. My dad does not live with us. I will soon be the only one earning a living and on very little money.

I will do what it takes, I'm planning to cancel subscriptions and get a cheaper phone in order to pay for travel, help my mum out, veterinary supplies and more importantly I need to pay for driving lessons and finally get my drivers licence. I also want to save what I can as I've saved alot of money and I don't want to lose any progress.

I have never claimed for any benefits before but i will need a little extra financial support to get me through the next couple years. Would I be able to apply for any form of financial support? Thank you
Original post by Pandora202
Hi everyone. I have searched the Internet but can't get a straight answer. I will be taking a huge transition from working at my full time job as a veterinary assistant to completing an apprenticeship with the RVC to train as a veterinary nurse and gain my lifelong qualification which is a dream for me. I will be going from £22,000 to £15,600 per year which is a little scary. I am determined to make it work as I want to become a veterinary nurse. I have chosen this route as I've been struggling to get enrolled at college or even at university.

So here's my living situation. I (22) live with my mum (58) who doesn't work (isn't fit to work due to mental health) and gets housing benefit, she also has a severely broken arm at the moment. My brother (27) also doesn't work and does not claim any benefits. My sister (30) works but is moving to her new house very soon to start her own life. My dad does not live with us. I will soon be the only one earning a living and on very little money.

I will do what it takes, I'm planning to cancel subscriptions and get a cheaper phone in order to pay for travel, help my mum out, veterinary supplies and more importantly I need to pay for driving lessons and finally get my drivers licence. I also want to save what I can as I've saved alot of money and I don't want to lose any progress.

I have never claimed for any benefits before but i will need a little extra financial support to get me through the next couple years. Would I be able to apply for any form of financial support? Thank you

You want to see if you can claim for any Universal Credit, but really your Brother needs to get onboard with universal credit to, and looking for work, the Apprenticeship may not be another and he's at the age he should be contributing. Your apprenticeship will open doors to a great career and you don't want to be hindered here. You ideally need way up all the income from your mum and such that you have, and yours, what you can afford and see what else you need. Entitled.to is a good site for seeing if you qualify for anything. It might be you can't pay for driving lessons for a while if its that tight to be honest.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk
Reply 2
Original post by gandalfslipper
You want to see if you can claim for any Universal Credit, but really your Brother needs to get onboard with universal credit to, and looking for work, the Apprenticeship may not be another and he's at the age he should be contributing. Your apprenticeship will open doors to a great career and you don't want to be hindered here. You ideally need way up all the income from your mum and such that you have, and yours, what you can afford and see what else you need. Entitled.to is a good site for seeing if you qualify for anything. It might be you can't pay for driving lessons for a while if its that tight to be honest.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk

Hello! Thank you for your advice. It's been hard trying to make a living and essentially supporting the rest of my household as the youngest of them all. It will be even harder without my sisters help and being on a low wage. I agree my brother does need to start taking some responsibility. My mum is not happy at all about me taking on an apprenticeship but I'm not letting that stop me! I have seen your PM but I'm unable to reply as a newbie but I wanted to say thanks so much for your advice and help. A little goes a long way and that's enough for me.!
Original post by Pandora202
Hello! Thank you for your advice. It's been hard trying to make a living and essentially supporting the rest of my household as the youngest of them all. It will be even harder without my sisters help and being on a low wage. I agree my brother does need to start taking some responsibility. My mum is not happy at all about me taking on an apprenticeship but I'm not letting that stop me! I have seen your PM but I'm unable to reply as a newbie but I wanted to say thanks so much for your advice and help. A little goes a long way and that's enough for me.!

No worries! It’s thought but some tough conservations will need to be had.

Absolutely stick with it if that’s what you want it’ll pay off :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending