Singam21
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I'm not sure between further maths or maths, I like maths and I am pretty good at it but most unis say they would like the applicant to have further maths a-level, my school offers that, however, I don't want to take maths and further maths. So if they want an A* maths but I only have an A/A* in further maths can I still apply or do I really need regular maths and further maths? I am looking at some science courses
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
The content of further maths assumes knowledge of the content of normal maths, so you may as well get the qualification for both while you're learning it all anyway (although many courses I've seen do ask for both if they want further maths anyway, and wouldn't let one replace the other unless they specifically say so).
Last edited by Interea; 2 days ago
ZedTV
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
usually those who took further maths, also have taken normal A level maths. Further maths is usually good if you plan to apply to do maths/physics at a top uni? But most science courses (bio, chem, biochem) have the preference of just maths
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Your school won't be offering Further Maths on its own - they may call the option 'Further Maths' but it will mean studying both Maths and Further Maths A levels as the content for FM is inaccessible if you haven't also studied Maths. Check with your school if you want to and check how they deliver FM. Some schools teach it in little more than the number of lessons for Maths and assume students will be good enough to learn at a faster pace - oif this is the case they may expect you to do Maths, FM and another 2 A levels. At others it fills 2 option blocks and this makes it harder to pick 4 full A levels.
Singam21
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 12 hours ago
(Original post by EOData)
Your school won't be offering Further Maths on its own - they may call the option 'Further Maths' but it will mean studying both Maths and Further Maths A levels as the content for FM is inaccessible if you haven't also studied Maths. Check with your school if you want to and check how they deliver FM. Some schools teach it in little more than the number of lessons for Maths and assume students will be good enough to learn at a faster pace - oif this is the case they may expect you to do Maths, FM and another 2 A levels. At others it fills 2 option blocks and this makes it harder to pick 4 full A levels.
no, my school does offer further maths as its own a-level si you can take 2 sciences further maths and an epq if you wish.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 hours ago
(Original post by Singam21)
no, my school does offer further maths as its own a-level si you can take 2 sciences further maths and an epq if you wish.
Check with your school, I guarantee you have misunderstood. They would not do this.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 12 hours ago
You cannot take FMaths without studying A level Maths - I teach Maths
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 11 hours ago
I'm not sure between further maths or maths, I like maths and I am pretty good at it but most unis say they would like the applicant to have further maths a-level, my school offers that, however, I don't want to take maths and further maths. So if they want an A* maths but I only have an A/A* in further maths can I still apply or do I really need regular maths and further maths? I am looking at some science courses
I doubt you would be able to just do further maths on it own without maths.
You either do just maths or both maths and further maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads