The Student Room Group

Overthinking while watching movies/tv shows

I often overthink little details while watching movies/tv shows. This makes watching them stressful and mentally taxing, rather than relaxing and enjoyable . After every event, I find the need to pause and process what had happened, as well as periodically recap (in my head), all the previous major events. I often find the need to put something, which could be understood intuitively, into words, like why a character was crying, for instance. I've tried ignoring the urge to do these things and adopt a 'don't think; feel' mindset, which sometimes works, but more often than not makes me feel uneasy throughout the movie. I should also mention that this hasn't always been the case; it started maybe around a year or two ago. I've considered quitting movies/tv shows as a whole, but there are days where I feel completely fine, so it'd be a shame to miss out.

Does anyone else do this? Any advice?
I do this very often. Just tonight after a late dinner I was watching something and I was observing just how tuned up their teamwork and communication skills were. It was a life lesson to me.
Sometimes I do overthink. Usually if I spot something in a film about a historical event that seems unreal. For example, noticing in the Macbeth film where Marion Cotillard is Lady Macbeth that her bra outline is visible underneath her dress.
Sometimes when I watch a movie, I notice old plot devices, and if the movie is bad, I can then predict the ending. I then turn it off. Other times, such as when I watched the new Blade Runner movie, I could not understand why I should watch it. Everybody was ecstatic, but I thought the visuals so annoying, tresome and exhaustive that I spent half an hour examining the roof constructions inside the cinema. I then found myself with an opinion quite contrary to the accepted dogma. That is not allowed where I come from.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Overanalysing everything that happens in a movie, to the point where it's becoming mentally exhausting for you to watch, is a big problem. It takes away from your enjoyment of the story. Yes there are movies that are designed to make you think and concentrate, but if you do it even in movies that don't need you to focus very hard then it's probably time to watch something a bit less taxing. Easy watching, such as sitcoms that don't require you to use your brain. If you balance that with stories which are a bit more complex then I'm sure you will find them easier to process. Movies are designed to be easy to understand and follow - they shouldn't make you think so hard about every line or action that happens. It's ok to miss a few bits and pieces here and there. Don't take them so seriously, relax when you watch and I'm sure your overanalysing will calm down.
me too, it's truly stressing me out. I want to try rewatching the episode i overthinks later this day idk if it will help
i'm the exact same way, no one gets it lol. i overthink every little thing in stuff that i watch, like a lot. always have to pause and put events into my own words or excessively explain or recap. i wouldn't say it makes movies/tv unenjoyable for me to watch, it's still enjoyable but a bit exhausting mentally cause my brain won't stfu for five seconds. i tell myself "just pay attention, don't think", my brain's just like nah no thanks. i don't have any advice though, but one thing that helps me is rewatching stuff. i find that if i watch something (especially a show) the full way through the 2nd time, my brain finally shuts up since i'm watching something i already overthought.
If it is honest fun, i will enjoy it. But if it is pretentious, my thoughts will focus on one single issue: when will this thing end?
Original post by quickquestion805
I often overthink little details while watching movies/tv shows. This makes watching them stressful and mentally taxing, rather than relaxing and enjoyable . After every event, I find the need to pause and process what had happened, as well as periodically recap (in my head), all the previous major events. I often find the need to put something, which could be understood intuitively, into words, like why a character was crying, for instance. I've tried ignoring the urge to do these things and adopt a 'don't think; feel' mindset, which sometimes works, but more often than not makes me feel uneasy throughout the movie. I should also mention that this hasn't always been the case; it started maybe around a year or two ago. I've considered quitting movies/tv shows as a whole, but there are days where I feel completely fine, so it'd be a shame to miss out.

Hi @quickquestion805!

I've actually been through something similar. Since I began studying animation, I struggled to watch movies with CG characters (which is most mainstream movies these days) without my brain going into analysis mode and studying the way they were animated/textured instead of the actual story of the film. It's a tough habit to break, but one thing that helped me was very simple and a little odd: I moved the screen just a little, to the point where I had different surroundings in my peripheral vision, and it felt "different". Then the overthinking stopped! The difference in the situation seemed to stop those habits creeping up on me. Maybe this would work for you?

Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
Bro, you should ofcourse learn to control it, but see it as a gift rather than a curse.

A natural inclination towards analysis is never bad. What is a problem it seems is where your attention is focused. Try distinguishing themes instead of minute details, the bigger picture, which is a more beneficial intellectual activity with potential academic benefits.

Thinking should never be viewed as a problem for a Homo sapiens. And Too few a number are able to think today.

You cannot stop a river, only direct it’s flow.

Yeah it’s cringe, but the fact is that I don’t think the solution is to stop thinking. Thinking itself should never be an issue, so rare these days.

Focus on the right thing, mainly themes, rather than details, and your experience might even become enhanced by your thinking.

Original post by floatingatlas
i'm the exact same way, no one gets it lol. i overthink every little thing in stuff that i watch, like a lot. always have to pause and put events into my own words or excessively explain or recap. i wouldn't say it makes movies/tv unenjoyable for me to watch, it's still enjoyable but a bit exhausting mentally cause my brain won't stfu for five seconds. i tell myself "just pay attention, don't think", my brain's just like nah no thanks. i don't have any advice though, but one thing that helps me is rewatching stuff. i find that if i watch something (especially a show) the full way through the 2nd time, my brain finally shuts up since i'm watching something i already overthought.

I do this - but I find it fun to use like analytical skills:u:
(edited 1 year ago)
I also listen to the backing music and small details of things - I’ve always done this and just learned to love it partly because my family does it too and I didn’t know others don’t before. Just pause it sometimes to let your brain flow - trust me it’s more enjoyable to pause it.

By any chance do you also over analyse reality then predict things so take certain steps and everyone thinks your weird till your right and get annoyed about it???
I have never related to something more. I looked this up to see if anybody else has this problem and the way you worded this is perfect. The pausing, the internal recaps, all of it. I relate so much and it's so frustrating because ill be watching a show or movie with family and i just want to pause it and think about it but i cant because everyone else is watching so instead i spend a while comprehending it in my head while the show continues to play and THEN i have to use my mind to recreate what happened on the tv so i dont miss anything. Man its nauseating.
Absolutely, I can relate to what you're experiencing. Delving deep into the details of movies and TV shows is something I've found myself doing too. It's like our brains are in overdrive, trying to analyze every little thing. Here's what I've found helpful: Setting intentions before I hit play, reminding myself to just kick back and enjoy. It sounds simple, but it's a little mental nudge that helps. Scheduled breaks used to be a lot for me, but now I try to stick to planned breaks, maybe halfway through or after an episode. It's like a little time-out to gather my thoughts. Mindfulness was a game-changer for me. A bit of mindfulness or meditation before watching really helps to quiet the analytical part of my brain. Journaling post-viewing is helpful if my mind is buzzing after watching something. It's a good way to process without interrupting the actual watching. Watching with friends makes it more about the shared experience and less about overthinking. Plus, it's just more fun. Choosing simpler content sometimes means going for shows or movies that are more straightforward. Less complex plots mean less fuel for overthinking. For more diverse shows I decided to pair rumble to firestick. Remember, there's no one-size-fits-all way to watch TV or movies. It's all about finding what works for you. And hey, sometimes that analytical brain can add a whole new dimension to what you're watching!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest