Overthinking while watching movies/tv shows

Watch this thread
quickquestion805
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I often overthink little details while watching movies/tv shows. This makes watching them stressful and mentally taxing, rather than relaxing and enjoyable . After every event, I find the need to pause and process what had happened, as well as periodically recap (in my head), all the previous major events. I often find the need to put something, which could be understood intuitively, into words, like why a character was crying, for instance. I've tried ignoring the urge to do these things and adopt a 'don't think; feel' mindset, which sometimes works, but more often than not makes me feel uneasy throughout the movie. I should also mention that this hasn't always been the case; it started maybe around a year or two ago. I've considered quitting movies/tv shows as a whole, but there are days where I feel completely fine, so it'd be a shame to miss out.

Does anyone else do this? Any advice?
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I do this very often. Just tonight after a late dinner I was watching something and I was observing just how tuned up their teamwork and communication skills were. It was a life lesson to me.
username5842617
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Sometimes I do overthink. Usually if I spot something in a film about a historical event that seems unreal. For example, noticing in the Macbeth film where Marion Cotillard is Lady Macbeth that her bra outline is visible underneath her dress.
michaelhw
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Sometimes when I watch a movie, I notice old plot devices, and if the movie is bad, I can then predict the ending. I then turn it off. Other times, such as when I watched the new Blade Runner movie, I could not understand why I should watch it. Everybody was ecstatic, but I thought the visuals so annoying, tresome and exhaustive that I spent half an hour examining the roof constructions inside the cinema. I then found myself with an opinion quite contrary to the accepted dogma. That is not allowed where I come from.
Last edited by michaelhw; 4 months ago
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Overanalysing everything that happens in a movie, to the point where it's becoming mentally exhausting for you to watch, is a big problem. It takes away from your enjoyment of the story. Yes there are movies that are designed to make you think and concentrate, but if you do it even in movies that don't need you to focus very hard then it's probably time to watch something a bit less taxing. Easy watching, such as sitcoms that don't require you to use your brain. If you balance that with stories which are a bit more complex then I'm sure you will find them easier to process. Movies are designed to be easy to understand and follow - they shouldn't make you think so hard about every line or action that happens. It's ok to miss a few bits and pieces here and there. Don't take them so seriously, relax when you watch and I'm sure your overanalysing will calm down.
apersonobviously
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
me too, it's truly stressing me out. I want to try rewatching the episode i overthinks later this day idk if it will help
floatingatlas
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
i'm the exact same way, no one gets it lol. i overthink every little thing in stuff that i watch, like a lot. always have to pause and put events into my own words or excessively explain or recap. i wouldn't say it makes movies/tv unenjoyable for me to watch, it's still enjoyable but a bit exhausting mentally cause my brain won't stfu for five seconds. i tell myself "just pay attention, don't think", my brain's just like nah no thanks. i don't have any advice though, but one thing that helps me is rewatching stuff. i find that if i watch something (especially a show) the full way through the 2nd time, my brain finally shuts up since i'm watching something i already overthought.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads