Access course or A levels

Watch this thread
sarahcarr
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm aiming to apply to study BSc Physiotherapy in 2023. I'm 5 units (out of 21) into an Access Course + two months into A Level Biology.

Now I'm thinking that I should have just signed up for three A Levels instead. It's not too late to switch.

For background I did A Level French, English and Law a million years ago and also have a masters in law.

Can anyone advise?
Last edited by sarahcarr; 4 months ago
Lauracarter123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sarahcarr)
I'm aiming to apply to study BSc Physiotherapy in 2023. I'm 5 units (out of 21) into an Access Course + two months into A Level Biology.

Now I'm thinking that I should have just signed up for three A Levels instead. It's not too late to switch.

For background I did A Level French, English and Law a million years ago and also have a masters in law.

Can anyone advise?
Any particularly reason why you are considering switching?
sarahcarr
Rep:
(Original post by Lauracarter123)
Any particularly reason why you are considering switching?
Not particularly enjoying the Access Course, and feel that chemistry would be more useful in terms of knowledge.
Lauracarter123
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Not particularly enjoying the Access Course, and feel that chemistry would be more useful in terms of knowledge.
I'm applying for Physio for 2022 start and currently doing an access course that is primarily biology and some psychology units. I also already have A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Dance from about 10 years ago plus a degree in Chemistry (I'm doing the access course as all of this is considered too long ago despite being pretty much perfect subjects for Physio study). From my experiences so far and having done both within similar subjects, I am of the opinion that an Access course is much better preparation for University study than A-Levels are and for these sciencey subjects I wish the last time I had gone to Uni was with an access course under my belt. It's just much closer to how University runs, how you are expected to write etc. Also as far as Chemistry content goes, I think the small elements of Chemistry that pop up within biology at A-Level / Access is more than enough for studying Physiotherapy at University - the vast majority of A-Level Chemistry content is going to have minimal relevance. Of course if you really aren't enjoying the Access course to the extent where you are just going to drop out or maybe not be very successful in it due to not feeling passionate about it then you can of course switch to A-Levels if the ability for you to take them and do well at them is there. As long as you have your Biology A-Level you can be pretty flexible about the other two that you pick based on what I've seen Uni Physiotherapy courses asking for. Go with whatever option you think is most likely to have you successful.
sarahcarr
Rep:
I'm applying for Physio for 2022 start and currently doing an access course that is primarily biology and some psychology units. I also already have A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Dance from about 10 years ago plus a degree in Chemistry (I'm doing the access course as all of this is considered too long ago despite being pretty much perfect subjects for Physio study). From my experiences so far and having done both within similar subjects, I am of the opinion that an Access course is much better preparation for University study than A-Levels are and for these sciencey subjects I wish the last time I had gone to Uni was with an access course under my belt. It's just much closer to how University runs, how you are expected to write etc. Also as far as Chemistry content goes, I think the small elements of Chemistry that pop up within biology at A-Level / Access is more than enough for studying Physiotherapy at University - the vast majority of A-Level Chemistry content is going to have minimal relevance. Of course if you really aren't enjoying the Access course to the extent where you are just going to drop out or maybe not be very successful in it due to not feeling passionate about it then you can of course switch to A-Levels if the ability for you to take them and do well at them is there. As long as you have your Biology A-Level you can be pretty flexible about the other two that you pick based on what I've seen Uni Physiotherapy courses asking for. Go with whatever option you think is most likely to have you successful.
Gosh, can't believe that your A levels are already out of date only ten years later!
Thanks very much for your reply - it was really useful. May I ask who you're doing your access course with? I'm doing mine with Learn Direct.
Also which unis are you applying to for physio?
Lauracarter123
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Gosh, can't believe that your A levels are already out of date only ten years later!
Thanks very much for your reply - it was really useful. May I ask who you're doing your access course with? I'm doing mine with Learn Direct.
Also which unis are you applying to for physio?
I’m doing mine with DistanceLearningCentre.com and it’s an Access to Allied Health Professions course with a LOT of biology units as I thought that would be the most useful in regards to being ready for a Physiotherapy degree.

I applied to MMU (and have an offer), St.George’s (just had an interview and waiting to hear), Brunel (i have an interview next week), Kings (haven’t heard anything yet) and Liverpool (straight rejection).
sarahcarr
Rep:
I’m doing mine with DistanceLearningCentre.com and it’s an Access to Allied Health Professions course with a LOT of biology units as I thought that would be the most useful in regards to being ready for a Physiotherapy degree.

I applied to MMU (and have an offer), St.George’s (just had an interview and waiting to hear), Brunel (i have an interview next week), Kings (haven’t heard anything yet) and Liverpool (straight rejection).
Well done on the offer! What was the St. George's interview like?
Lauracarter123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Well done on the offer! What was the St. George's interview like?
I enjoyed it - I thought it was going to be really scary but it wasn't too bad! I don't know what they thought of my interview yet though, I have potentially a very long way until I'll hear any more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.7%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.07%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (32)
26.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.14%

Watched Threads