NualaC87
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi guys,

I have always been adamant I wanted to apply for PGCE Secondary school English. It’s essentially the only option I thought I had as I don’t have the Science for Primary etc.
Recently someone suggested to me I should look into teaching at Further Education (college, sixth form etc). This isn’t something I’ve ever looked into as to be honest with you I presumed there was a higher level again of education / a background in teaching needed for a role like this. It turns out there isn’t at all.
Without sounding like an absolute idiot, could someone please explain to me what the difference is ? Why is there a PGCE for secondary school and a separate PGCE for college / sixth form. Is one deemed in higher esteem ?
Sorry to come across so stupid but I was raised in a different country where we only have secondary school and then university x
Last edited by NualaC87; 2 days ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by NualaC87)
Hi guys,

I have always been adamant I wanted to apply for PGCE Secondary school English. It’s essentially the only option I thought I had as I don’t have the Science for Primary etc.
Recently someone suggested to me I should look into teaching at Further Education (college, sixth form etc). This isn’t something I’ve ever looked into as to be honest with you I presumed there was a higher level again of education / a background in teaching needed for a role like this. It turns out there isn’t at all.
Without sounding like an absolute idiot, could someone please explain to me what the difference is ? Why is there a PGCE for secondary school and a separate PGCE for college / sixth form. Is one deemed in higher esteem ?
Sorry to come across so stupid but I was raised in a different country where we only have secondary school and then university x
Post-16 / Further Education PGCEs usually provide QTLS rather than QTS. There are a few key differences:

1) In order to 'maintain' your QTLS, you must be a member of SET. I believe that your QTLS is not considered 'current' if you are not a member. It apparently costs something like £6 a month.

2) Many secondary schools will not view QTLS as equivalent to QTS, and will prefer to employ somebody with QTS. So if you decide to make the move to secondary schools, you might have some trouble. I don't believe there's an equivalent difficulty in moving up to Further Education if you gained QTS though - I know a few people who work in colleges and they all started off teaching secondary school.

In short, if you want the flexibility to move around in the future, it is probably most sensible to get QTS. If you know you definitely just want to stick to Further Education, then QTLS is fine.

On another note, you mention that the only thing stopping you from going into primary is a lack of Science GCSE. If you are more interested in primary than secondary, it is probably worth just doing an equivalency qualification in a science - I think most people go for biology. All you would need to do is check with the university you are interested in applying to and find out what equivalent qualifications they accept, as different unis accept different qualifications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads