The Student Room Group

What counts as part of your word count? (EPQ)

I am assuming the title page and contents don't count, but what about the Abstract? My abstract for my EPQ is 400 words and that's a big chunk out of the 5,000 limit.
Reply 1
The abstract counts, if it is part of the essay, but your supervisor can maybe clarify it?
Original post by Eddie3294302
I am assuming the title page and contents don't count, but what about the Abstract? My abstract for my EPQ is 400 words and that's a big chunk out of the 5,000 limit.

the title page, contents and bibliography don't count, but abstract usually does. if you can't afford to lose that much of your word count i'd condense the abstract a bit, as most abstracts tend to be a lot shorter :smile:
Reply 3
It is tough to do but try and get your abstract down to 250
Reply 4
Check with the relevant specification.

Edexcel doesn't have a hard word limit but say: It is estimated that the dissertation produced will be 5000–6000 words in length. Learners will not be penalised for producing work outside the suggested word count, but they should ensure their word count allows them to meet the assessment objectives.

I've known people write over 20,000 words and get an A* although they didn't endear themselves to the person marking it.

However, the general (non EPQ guidance) for an abstract is that it should be 150-250 words. People don't want to waste their time, effectively summarising your work into a few words is an important skill to learn and to demonstrate here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending