High BMI and even worse waist measurement

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm emerging from the covid 2 yrs back into the social scene, and I've changed quite a bit physically, sat in the house snacking for 2 years.

Pre covid, I was pretty much as slim as my friends shown in the friends picture linked below, which was taken last week.
you can also see a picture from over xmas on there aswell.

Pre covid, I didn't work at my diet or fitness at all, I just was slim. So I dont kow where to start, or even if it is possible, but I'd like to lose a little bit I think.
Any comments or suggestions, I dont really know where I'm going with this at the moment, but this feels like something to start.

BMI looking at 34, weight 13st 8lb, height 5ft3, waist 38.

https://ibb.co/McQrrSS
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
You just need to eat less and start exercising. For sustainable weight loss you shouldn't be trying to lose more than 2lbs per week, but it is common to lose more than that in the first few weeks as it's mostly water weight you lose first. To lose 1 pound per week you need to cut about 500 calories per day, to lose 2 pounds per week you need to cut about 1000 calories per day. This can be done either through just diet or exercising but you obviously get the best results through both.

For healthy weight loss, the NHS recommend eating 1,400 calories a day. If you don't know where to start with exercising, then even just walking 10,000 steps per day will make a difference and burn a few hundred calories. Walking 10,000 steps per day is a good place to start just to get you used to activity again before you start more rigorous exercise. And make sure to strength train as well to make sure you're losing fat and not muscle.

Just remember not to eat too little calories or to push yourself too hard with exercising, you don't want to develop an eating disorder or cause other health problems.

Good luck, and congratulations for deciding you want to make a change
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Try not to get too bogged down on the numbers, as this can become unhealthy and do you no good in the long run.

In terms of exercise, find something you enjoy! Go for a walk, a nice bike ride, play some tennis, swimming, gardening, dancing in the kitchen... Mix things up a bit, try new things, get a friend (or dog) to join you. Walk to the shop, cycle/walk somewhere instead of driving, set yourself a challenge (e.g. run a 5k, walk a half marathon), something that is exciting and achievable and sustainable. Try to do something every day, even if it is just a half hour walk or a bit of time spent doing some gardening. There are also plenty of videos online, like yoga, pilates, HIIT, and so on, aimed at all sorts of abilities.
Some people find activity trackers (e.g. Fitbit) really useful, some don't, it's up to you.
I don't know what your current level of fitness is, don't go too hard or too long (especially at first). You won't see results immediately, but after a few weeks of consistent exercise you will begin to notice things getting a little easier, and part of your day-to-day routine. And maybe make a rough record of what you're doing (e.g. a run of x km which took you y minutes) and how it feels – this helps with routine, and easy to see how you are improving.

In terms of diet, how do you eat at the moment?
Don't massively restrict, don't skip meals or cut out food groups, make sure you are getting enough! You should feel energised throughout the day, and have the ability to focus on and complete any activities you are doing.
Try to cook more meals from scratch (or pretty much from scratch), e.g. instead of ordering a pizza you could make one: a base (make/buy a pizza base, or use a naan/flatbread etc), a tomato sauce (like concentrated tomato purée, or make one using tinned/fresh tomatoes), ad whatever toppings you fancy.
Eat more fruit and veg , put them into smoothies, sauces, soups, cakes... There are loads of different ways of preparing them so see what you like!
Varied and balanced diet etc.: eat different types of foods, include all the various nutrients the human body needs.

In short, a few simple but sustainable lifestyle changes will be great for your health, good luck and have fun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.23%
October 2021 (221)
44.38%
November 2021 (59)
11.85%
December 2021 (64)
12.85%
January 2021 (60)
12.05%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.63%