Biomedical science, Uni of Sheffield vs Uni of Warwick

Watch
omi05
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have received offers from four of my choices and fairly confident that I will receive one from Warwick. Because of this, I've obviously looked at both Sheffield and Warwick and can't really decide which one would be better to study at. They both have distinctive qualities that I like and both have their own positives and negatives.My main concern is weather University rankings actually matter because generally Warwick is a more prestigious University compared to Sheffield, but I feel like I would have a greater time (socially) at Sheffield compared to Warwick. Not saying Warwick social life is bad, but Sheffield exceeds Warwick social life. I want to pursue Biomedical Science and hopefully join the STP program after I graduate. Would any be kind enough to give me a quick review of either University and advise me to which one I should go to with the following factors in mind: Academics, Social life.Also if you go to any of these universities, I wouldn't mind listening to some of your reviews Image
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Much of Warwick's reputation is based on courses such as maths and economics. Is it the same in the field of biomedical science?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
How to Choose Firm and Insurance - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices - read it all, and then sit on your hands until Easter before you actually enter any decision on UCAS.
omi05
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Much of Warwick's reputation is based on courses such as maths and economics. Is it the same in the field of biomedical science?
Pretty sure it's mostly for maths and economics, not so much for science. Although science is obviously still good there
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Warwick ranked 12th and Sheffield 29th for Biosciences by the Guardian. That's too big a difference to ignore. If you are staying in this field and thinking of a PhD then go to Warwick. You are right in that the campus scene in Warwick can get a bit dull by year 3 so Sheffield has a better social life but the Warwick degree is better. If you don't mind campus life, go to Lancaster, ranked 4th.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Warwick ranked 12th and Sheffield 29th for Biosciences by the Guardian. That's too big a difference to ignore. If you are staying in this field and thinking of a PhD then go to Warwick. You are right in that the campus scene in Warwick can get a bit dull by year 3 so Sheffield has a better social life but the Warwick degree is better. If you don't mind campus life, go to Lancaster, ranked 4th.
If you place so much store on the guardian rankings, you should perhaps be advising the OP to apply to Cardiff Met, which for some reason ranks 9th - above Warwick.

Or could it be that the Guardian rankings are the worst example of a flawed concept?
McGinger
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
'Reputation' counts for nothing if you don't enjoy the course you are studying.

You really do need to look at this a bit more widely than just a Uni's position on an arbitrary list.
omi05
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I've looked at the pros and cons for both Universities. What I've found is that Sheffield is cheaper, closer to me, has better buildings (in my opinion) and overall better student satisfaction as there is more to do on and off campus. As far as I know, Sheffield and Warwick rank pretty similar for Bioscience, but I'm not sure if the name Warwick is too big to reject and the industrial connections Warwick has.
McGinger
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
If either has any sort of placement, industrial experience possibility, that is a big plus for graduate employment. When thousands of grads are all competing for the same jobs, any 'relevant experience' will immediatly give you a major advantage. Study abroad is also recomended for its 'more interesting CV than usual' bonus.
omi05
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by McGinger)
If either has any sort of placement, industrial experience possibility, that is a big plus for graduate employment. When thousands of grads are all competing for the same jobs, any 'relevant experience' will immediatly give you a major advantage. Study abroad is also recomended for its 'more interesting CV than usual' bonus.
For both choices, I've applied for a placement year.
mike23mike
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
If you place so much store on the guardian rankings, you should perhaps be advising the OP to apply to Cardiff Met, which for some reason ranks 9th - above Warwick.

Or could it be that the Guardian rankings are the worst example of a flawed concept?
Absolutely the ranking system has its flaws but the genie is out of the bottle and uni rankings do exist so will be used to benchmark different unis. Look at Loughborough Uni's website; it boasts it's ranked in the top 10 by the Guardian and Times Higher so students are encouraged to look at the league tables even by universities.

Perhaps you are showing your prejudice against Cardiff Met? It's a great uni for Biological sciences; one of the best employment rates going.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Absolutely the ranking system has its flaws but the genie is out of the bottle and uni rankings do exist so will be used to benchmark different unis. Look at Loughborough Uni's website; it boasts it's ranked in the top 10 by the Guardian and Times Higher so students are encouraged to look at the league tables even by universities.

Perhaps you are showing your prejudice against Cardiff Met? It's a great uni for Biological sciences; one of the best employment rates going.
No, not at all. My post was against advice you gave that was based solely on the Guardian "rankings" - home of the most rogue ratings of any of the major "league tables".
mike23mike
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
No, not at all. My post was against advice you gave that was based solely on the Guardian "rankings" - home of the most rogue ratings of any of the major "league tables".
Again, Loughborough Uni (and others) are happily citing the Guardian ranking on their website to encourage students to apply so they must find it a respected source.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Again, Loughborough Uni (and others) are happily citing the Guardian ranking on their website to encourage students to apply so they must find it a respected source.
No, they are using the Guardian rankings because they make them look good!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
23.08%
Note taking apps (5)
2.96%
Flashcards (29)
17.16%
Revision guides (5)
2.96%
Past papers (85)
50.3%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.55%

Watched Threads