The Student Room Group

Homeschooling

Hey:smile: I’m new to homeschooling and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me??

Scroll to see replies

@PinkMobilePhone might be able to offer some advice :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by flaurie

Thankyou! :smile:
Original post by Lyla23
Hey:smile: I’m new to homeschooling and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me??

Hi there.

I recommend you finding the exam board specification and using this as a checklist to go through content. It'd be useful if you found an exam board approved text book so you have notes and practice Qs. Once you're comfortable with the content you can access past papers and corresponding mark schemes and attempt as many as possible to aid revision and improve exam technique.

Best wishes for home schooling.
Reply 4
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

I recommend you finding the exam board specification and using this as a checklist to go through content. It'd be useful if you found an exam board approved text book so you have notes and practice Qs. Once you're comfortable with the content you can access past papers and corresponding mark schemes and attempt as many as possible to aid revision and improve exam technique.

Best wishes for home schooling.

Thankyou! This is really helpful!!
Original post by Lyla23
Thankyou! This is really helpful!!

No problem. Any further advice - do ask.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Which year are you in and what subjects are you intending to study and at what level? (just learning stuff prior to studying the GCSE when you're older, GCSE/IGCSE, A level....)
Reply 7
What year are you in? Also, local councils do not offer much help, I was homeeducated and I would suggest you make sure you really want to do it as it can be really isolating at some points. Also, if it's not going well, go back to school.
Original post by flaurie

I will certainly try :smile:

Original post by Lyla23

As others have asked, which year are you in? What are your preferred plans for after GCSEs?

I'm a home educating parent of four.

My daughter (currently Year 11) has been home educated all through high school (with the exception of giving the local high school a try for 6 months during Year 9).
She did IGCSEs in History, Maths, and Biology, and GCSE Classical Civilisation in summer 2021 when she was in Year 10.
She did IGCSE English Language in November 2021. We're awaiting the results.
She's taking IGCSEs in Computer Science and English Literature, and GCSE Ancient History in summer 2022.

She's going on to take A Levels at a sixth form college afterwards. She's either going to be doing Art, Classical Civilisation, and English Language, OR Art, Ancient History, and English Language (depends which sixth form she opts for).

My three sons have been home educated for nearly 2 years.

Eldest son is Year 10. He's taking 2 IGCSEs this year, and 3 next year. He wants to go to college afterwards to take a Level 3 Extended BTEC.

Next son is Year 7. He's taking 2 IGCSEs this year, and we're spreading the rest out over the next few years.

Youngest son is Year 4.

So I've got a fair amount of experience with different age groups through home education, so if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you want to know about taking I/GCSEs as a home educated student, have a read of this:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7137122
Reply 9
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I will certainly try :smile:

As others have asked, which year are you in? What are your preferred plans for after GCSEs?

I'm a home educating parent of four.

My daughter (currently Year 11) has been home educated all through high school (with the exception of giving the local high school a try for 6 months during Year 9).
She did IGCSEs in History, Maths, and Biology, and GCSE Classical Civilisation in summer 2021 when she was in Year 10.
She did IGCSE English Language in November 2021. We're awaiting the results.
She's taking IGCSEs in Computer Science and English Literature, and GCSE Ancient History in summer 2022.

She's going on to take A Levels at a sixth form college afterwards. She's either going to be doing Art, Classical Civilisation, and English Language, OR Art, Ancient History, and English Language (depends which sixth form she opts for).

My three sons have been home educated for nearly 2 years.

Eldest son is Year 10. He's taking 2 IGCSEs this year, and 3 next year. He wants to go to college afterwards to take a Level 3 Extended BTEC.

Next son is Year 7. He's taking 2 IGCSEs this year, and we're spreading the rest out over the next few years.

Youngest son is Year 4.

So I've got a fair amount of experience with different age groups through home education, so if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you want to know about taking I/GCSEs as a home educated student, have a read of this:

Hi, I’m year 9 and I’m looking at doing English literature,English language,maths,health and social and child development so far, me an my parents have just been confused about how you go about doing GCSE’s as we’re not sure how you can take them in year 11?? Thankyou for the help!
Reply 10
Original post by Lyla23
Hi, I’m year 9 and I’m looking at doing English literature,English language,maths,health and social and child development so far, me an my parents have just been confused about how you go about doing GCSE’s as we’re not sure how you can take them in year 11?? Thankyou for the help!

I don't think either Health and Social Care nor Child Development will be possible for home schooled students owing to the coursework you'd need to do under supervision. Any subject that isn't 100% assessed by exams (like Maths and English Literature) causes problems for private candidates which is what you will be if you are home schooled.

You can take GCSEs at any age, so in Year 11 or before if you are ready. You need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college, plus some private places) willing to accept you as a private candidate, you pay them and they arrange the exams. The exams are normally only available in the Summer, and you have to enter by mid February of that year.
Use binders
Make notes
Store all your homework in folders
Do read carefully the exam questions
Pay attention to the lesson
Get a copy of the specification
Have goals to focus on and tune up skills
Find a tutor
Use plain exercise books
Buy a couple of textbooks to use as resources
Smile
Make friends
Be healthy
Original post by Lyla23

English Literature is fine to be taken as a GCSE or an IGCSE, as there are no practical components. It's personal choice.
(We go with Edexcel IGCSE, and the kids study with HomeMadeEducation)

English Language you're going to struggle with GCSE as there is a speaking component. Consider Edexcel IGCSE A, Edexcel IGCSE B, or CIE IGCSE instead (we go with Edexcel IGCSE B personally, as there is no anthology to study and it's only 1 exam [albeit 3 hours long]. Again my kids study that with HomeMadeEducation).

Maths you can do GCSE or IGCSE, again personal choice. We really like Absolute Maths and Conquer Maths

The rest aren't accessible for home educated students. They aren't GCSEs as far as I can see, and you can't take BTECs whilst home educated.
Is there anything else you'd like to take? There's a huge range of subjects to pick from. GCSE Sociology might suit you perhaps?

Have you had a read through the link I posted? There's a lot of info on there which will answer a lot of your initial questions. Here it is again:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi I am a homeschooled year 10 student who wants to give their gcse early but I have unfortunately missed the deadline and my parents can’t afford to pay the extra fee. Can I still do them in November even if I haven’t done any exam to resit or do I have to wait until 2023 thank you.
Original post by Midnight786
Hi I am a homeschooled year 10 student who wants to give their gcse early but I have unfortunately missed the deadline and my parents can’t afford to pay the extra fee. Can I still do them in November even if I haven’t done any exam to resit or do I have to wait until 2023 thank you.

Hi Midnight786

You've posted this several times now.
As I advised on one of your other identical posts of this topic, some exam boards aren't running exams in November, so you are better off contacting your chosen exam centre to see which ones you can book into for the November series.
Hi Midnight786

You've posted this several times now.
As I advised on one of your other identical posts of this topic, some exam boards aren't running exams in November, so you are better off contacting your chosen exam centre to see which ones you can book into for the November series.

Thank you so much for your help. Also so sorry for spamming this is my fist time using the student room sorry.
Original post by Midnight786
Thank you so much for your help. Also so sorry for spamming this is my fist time using the student room sorry.

No problem.

For future reference, it's better to make a new thread, just one in the correct place, and bump it after a couple of days (or relocate it to another section of the forum) if you've not had any responses.

I wish you luck with your studies.
No problem.

For future reference, it's better to make a new thread, just one in the correct place, and bump it after a couple of days (or relocate it to another section of the forum) if you've not had any responses.

I wish you luck with your studies.

Thank you
Hi there! I was homeschooled from Year 8 through to year 11, then went to a sixth form college for my a levels. I'm now at uni and work as a tutor! If you'd like to chat about anything or need any help, feel free to shoot me a message :smile:
Original post by Lyla23

Sorry I’m a bit late. Not sure if you’ve found any more information in regards to the health and social thing. Have a look at local colleges to you as lots offer 14-16 courses where you go there once a week and sit a level 1 diploma in subjects and a common one is caring for children or health and social care. It is usually only a year long and starts in yr 10 or 11. Normally free as well. Check with local college on there website or by calling them up.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest