SineadH0312
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi, I got a 2.1 on my fist university essay, does anyone know if that is good or bad, I'm not used to the uni grading system yet?
EternalKnight_02
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
It’s good, 2:1 is like an A/ High B, a first is like an high A or A*, you should be proud of yourself.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Its ok, depends on your personal goals, the percentage is probably more important if your looking at a specific module, its really about your overall average. Most people tend to aim for a 2.1 or a 1st. Generally both of these will open doors after your degree, but a 2.2 & lower is when employers tend to be less interested.

Personally I was very keen for a first at uni and had quite high expectation, this is the way I tended to look at it:
80+ elite (very happy) 75+ excellent, 70+ good, 65+ ok & above average, 60+acceptable but slightly disappointing, anything below 60 very disappointing.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by EternalKnight_02)
It’s good, 2:1 is like an A/ High B, a first is like an high A or A*, you should be proud of yourself.
Id probably say a first is more like an A, a 2.1 is more like a B/C.
SineadH0312
Rep:
Thank you, this makes it so much easier to understand
SineadH0312
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
Its ok, depends on your personal goals, the percentage is probably more important if your looking at a specific module, its really about your overall average. Most people tend to aim for a 2.1 or a 1st. Generally both of these will open doors after your degree, but a 2.2 & lower is when employers tend to be less interested.

Personally I was very keen for a first at uni and had quite high expectation, this is the way I tended to look at it:
80+ elite (very happy) 75+ excellent, 70+ good, 65+ ok & above average, 60+acceptable but slightly disappointing, anything below 60 very disappointing.
Thank you, personally I also have very high expectations, especially finishing with three A* at A level and so this makes it so much easier to set goals for the future. I was confused and unsure what to expect as we hadn't been given much guidance for our first essays, so now I can use these grade estimates as targets and use my feedback to improve. Thank you
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by SineadH0312)
Hi, I got a 2.1 on my fist university essay, does anyone know if that is good or bad, I'm not used to the uni grading system yet?
Hi there,

You'll get used to the system soon enough
A first is typically 70% and above, a 2:1 is 60%- 69%, a 2:2 is 50-59%, a third is 40-49%.

These are rough estimates, as it can differ slightly.
In terms of "good" or "bad" it depends on what you expect of your self and what degree type.
2:1 tend to range from B- to A- , if that helps?

Either way well done
Abby, Student ambassador
SineadH0312
Rep:
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi there,

You'll get used to the system soon enough
A first is typically 70% and above, a 2:1 is 60%- 69%, a 2:2 is 50-59%, a third is 40-49%.

These are rough estimates, as it can differ slightly.
In terms of "good" or "bad" it depends on what you expect of your self and what degree type.
2:1 tend to range from B- to A- , if that helps?

Either way well done
Abby, Student ambassador
Thank you, this really helps
SineadH0312
Rep:
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (63)
12.38%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.77%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (132)
25.93%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.45%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (244)
47.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.54%

Watched Threads