Who remembers the days of MSN Messenger?

Watch
JVM2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Back in the 2000s was MSN Messenger as Social Media

It was brand new at the time and transforming of lifestyle as we would all come Home and go on MSN Messenger on our PCs. Many of us will be old fogies now from this.

Trolling was big too with impersonation of others in order to harm others but now they've taken it to places like Instagram and Facebook.

Domain was MSN before going to Hotmail and finally it is all Outlook now.
Bronfenbrennerzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
Yes, remember it well. Mad.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Yup, and Yahoo Messenger
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy)
Yes, remember it well. Mad.
It was quite mental. 2010 is when I remember last using it.

We couldn't educate youth on Social Media then. Now we can.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Mid-late 90s was when I first started using these things
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Yes. Good times.
ROTL94 2
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Oh yeah, and the attention seekers going offline then online again so the notification would keep showing up in a bid to get someone's attention, simpler times
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by black tea)
Yes. Good times.
The group chats were fun in those days. Everyone gathering together.

There were some bots you could mess about with too.

Security was minimal on there. Nowadays we have Multi-factor authentication and other forms of security.

I remember a guy hacking my MSN account in 2007 and I successfully made a new one which he was never aware of.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
The group chats were fun in those days. Everyone gathering together.

There were some bots you could mess about with too.

Security was minimal on there. Nowadays we have Multi-factor authentication and other forms of security.

I remember a guy hacking my MSN account in 2007 and I successfully made a new one which he was never aware of.
I don't think we ever had group chats
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I liked the "listening to...." plugin so I could show off my awesome music taste.
Last edited by Sabertooth; 4 days ago
JVM2020
Rep:
There were available on Messenger

You could drag anyone in who was online.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Got added to tons. about 300 people in them haha
Bronfenbrennerzy
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
It was quite mental. 2010 is when I remember last using it.

We couldn't educate youth on Social Media then. Now we can.
This honestly makes me feel old xD I was 9 then, used it around 2012 I think.
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by gjd800)
Got added to tons. about 300 people in them haha
when I first had Messenger capacity was I think 100 for friend list. Then it got bigger in capacity so you could add more.
Last edited by JVM2020; 4 days ago
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy)
This honestly makes me feel old xD I was 9 then, used it around 2012 I think.
I was 23 in 2010 :lol:
Bronfenbrennerzy
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I was 23 in 2010 :lol:
Time flies, that was the year of the world cup and everyone singing 'the waving flag' non-stop. It was great.
yeet_21
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
joined in year 5 left just before started year 10 basically when FB took over completely
group chats, minesweeper flags, nudge button, sending mp3 files taking an hour, super slow webcam speed, remote assist (but not really understanding what its for), putting one liners in your username status, saving custom emoticons to your collection
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I remember the MSN Messenger Plus add-on which allowed you to have "pretty" nicknames with emoticons.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Logging into MSN after school used to be the highlight of my days :lol:
xobeauty
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Don’t make me cry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads