obsolentbutcool
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hello, if anyone knows about the re sitting process for people like me who didn't do well at all in their A Levels could you help me out. I know there's a few options like retaking through a college or retaking through a private institution which is the much more expensive option often thousands of pounds.

But I would rather just do the exams and the practicals for the A Levels. I can teach and study by myself but it's the exams I need only and I will pay for the exams and fees, only the exams not to pay for course material etc.
symptom
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
For science I'm guessing? You would need to register via a Private Candidate Exam centre, I recommend TutorsAndExams - I did an exam with them a few months ago and it was great! The fees are costly, but they do both exams and practicals (called CPAC? I believe). P.S. the deadline for the upcoming summer series is Feb 7th. Also, if you can't afford the fees, I would recommend you take a foundation year - what is it you want to study btw?
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
When do you want to re-sit? Summer 2022 or some other time?
What subjects sdo you want to re-sit? If a subject has NEA or a practical endorsement involevd you can carry that forward and not resit that, whch makes the process considerably simpler and cheaper.
To resit exams you need to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates/ and then pay them and they sort it out. The centers have to make entries with the exam board by mid February and will set earlier deadlines than that to candidates so they are not late.
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by symptom)
For science I'm guessing? You would need to register via a Private Candidate Exam centre, I recommend TutorsAndExams - I did an exam with them a few months ago and it was great! The fees are costly, but they do both exams and practicals (called CPAC? I believe). P.S. the deadline for the upcoming summer series is Feb 7th. Also, if you can't afford the fees, I would recommend you take a foundation year - what is it you want to study btw?
i want to do Medicine at University. how much did you roughly pay for your exams and could you please explain to me how predicted grades work for private candidates. So for my results for the 2021 A Level re sits in October i got really bad, U in chemistry, D in Biology and C in English Lit. How would my predicted grades be worked out and who would give them and when?
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
When do you want to re-sit? Summer 2022 or some other time?
What subjects sdo you want to re-sit? If a subject has NEA or a practical endorsement involevd you can carry that forward and not resit that, whch makes the process considerably simpler and cheaper.
To resit exams you need to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates/ and then pay them and they sort it out. The centers have to make entries with the exam board by mid February and will set earlier deadlines than that to candidates so they are not late.
I want to re sit in summer 2022. Im re sitting Chemistry, Biology and English Lit, in my 2021 re sits in October i got U D C in that order. So yeah not good. Any tips for me and how would predicted grades be worked out. Thank you for reading.
EOData
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by obsolentbutcool)
I want to re sit in summer 2022. Im re sitting Chemistry, Biology and English Lit, in my 2021 re sits in October i got U D C in that order. So yeah not good. Any tips for me and how would predicted grades be worked out. Thank you for reading.
It's too late to apply for medicine this year so wait to get your results and then apply with those. No need for predicted grades.
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
It's too late to apply for medicine this year so wait to get your results and then apply with those. No need for predicted grades.
but predicted grades are needed for the UCAS application.
EOData
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
but predicted grades are needed for the UCAS application.
Only for qualifications where you have yet to get a final grade. It's too late to apply for medicine for Autumn 2022 and by the time you apply next Autumn you will have your Summer 2022 grades.
symptom
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
i want to do Medicine at University. how much did you roughly pay for your exams and could you please explain to me how predicted grades work for private candidates. So for my results for the 2021 A Level re sits in October i got really bad, U in chemistry, D in Biology and C in English Lit. How would my predicted grades be worked out and who would give them and when?
I didn't do A Levels, I just know the process. The practicals alone are 2k. Are you in year 12 or 13?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Are you still in sixth form / sixth form college?
Have a word with your teachers and see if you can resit through them. I did an A2 resit at sixth form college, it wasn't a problem. I did have to stay on a third year and re-study the material, but it was fine and didn't cost anything.
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
Only for qualifications where you have yet to get a final grade. It's too late to apply for medicine for Autumn 2022 and by the time you apply next Autumn you will have your Summer 2022 grades.
oh i see, thanks for the info
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Are you still in sixth form / sixth form college?
Have a word with your teachers and see if you can resit through them. I did an A2 resit at sixth form college, it wasn't a problem. I did have to stay on a third year and re-study the material, but it was fine and didn't cost anything.
sadly they wont let me do it as they said they dont accept external candidates for resits. Im most likely going to try doing it at a local college where its cheaper,

another question, because my predicted grades will be really bad due to my TAGs 2021 being D E E and my Re sits in autumn 2021 being C D U. is it true that if i wait until October 2023 then i wont need predicted grades and that i can just put my summer 2022 grades which will hopefully be much better for applying to medical school.
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
sadly they wont let me do it as they said they dont accept external candidates for resits. Im most likely going to try doing it at a local college where its cheaper,

another question, because my predicted grades will be really bad due to my TAGs 2021 being D E E and my Re sits in autumn 2021 being C D U. is it true that if i wait until October 2023 then i wont need predicted grades and that i can just put my summer 2022 grades which will hopefully be much better for applying to medical school.
That is correct, but why are you waiting to apply at October 2023 (for 2024 entry)? The next cycle you can apply for Medicine is October 2022 for 2023 entry, which you can put your summer 2022 grades forward for that (and have a gap year)
Spoiler:
Show
don't forget to do the UCAT/BMAT and have work experience too!!
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
Report Thread starter 19 hours ago
(Original post by yippy-yikes)
That is correct, but why are you waiting to apply at October 2023 (for 2024 entry)? The next cycle you can apply for Medicine is October 2022 for 2023 entry, which you can put your summer 2022 grades forward for that (and have a gap year)
Spoiler:
Show
don't forget to do the UCAT/BMAT and have work experience too!!
yes but my predicted grades will be really bad for medicine (based off my re sit grades i did October 2021 which are C D U and my TAGs given summer 2021 which were D E E) how can i apply to medicine if my predicted grades will be bad. If you know of a way please tell me. Thank you for your help btw
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 13 hours ago
yes but my predicted grades will be really bad for medicine (based off my re sit grades i did October 2021 which are C D U and my TAGs given summer 2021 which were D E E) how can i apply to medicine if my predicted grades will be bad. If you know of a way please tell me. Thank you for your help btw
Ahh, I think you might be misunderstanding something!

You do not need to worry about your predicted grades at all if you are sitting the Summer 2022 A-level exams. This is because you'll get your results at August 18th 2022. This means you can use your Summer 2022 actual exam grades to apply for the next Medicine cycle in October 2022
Spoiler:
Show
The reason why you don't need your predicted grades is because you would have sat you A-level exams (Summer 2022 to get results in August 2022) before the next applicants cycle for Medicine starts (October 2022)
Last edited by yippy-yikes; 13 hours ago
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 hours ago
(Original post by yippy-yikes)
Ahh, I think you might be misunderstanding something!

You do not need to worry about your predicted grades at all if you are sitting the Summer 2022 A-level exams. This is because you'll get your results at August 18th 2022. This means you can use your Summer 2022 actual exam grades to apply for the next Medicine cycle in October 2022
Spoiler:
Show
The reason why you don't need your predicted grades is because you would have sat you A-level exams (Summer 2022 to get results in August 2022) before the next applicants cycle for Medicine starts (October 2022)
ahh i see ok that makes alot of sense. so the medical school would only see my Alevel 2022 results? They wont need to see my TAGs and Autumn 2021 or would they ask about them? Thanks for the help
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 hours ago
ahh i see ok that makes alot of sense. so the medical school would only see my Alevel 2022 results? They wont need to see my TAGs and Autumn 2021 or would they ask about them? Thanks for the help
Hi there.

It's worth noting that most medical schools don't accept resits and if they do most would like at least BBB in your first sitting. Some medical schools also have a cap on the number of resits you can do.

I wish I could provide better news for you however I can't ignore your situation

ecolier if you could confirm this
Last edited by TriplexA; 5 hours ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 hours ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

It's worth noting that most medical schools don't accept resits and if they do most would like at least BBB in your first sitting. Some medical schools also have a cap on the number of resits you can do.

I wish I could provide better news for you however I can't ignore your situation.

:ta:

GANFYD has compiled a very lovely list of "Which med school accept A-Level retakes here":
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6649138
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 hours ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

I wish I could provide better news for you however I can't ignore your situation

ah i see, ill have to see which unis dont expect too much from the first re sits (which they dont consider those re sits because we never had exams in summer 2021)
obsolentbutcool
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 hours ago
(Original post by ecolier)
:ta:

GANFYD has compiled a very lovely list of "Which med school accept A-Level retakes here":
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6649138
thanks ecolier
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads