The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Real Estate Finance

Hi all,

I'm currently in my final year of my undergraduate degree and am looking to start a career within real estate finance/ acquisition/ development. As my degree isn't real estate focussed I have been looking at master degrees within Real Estate Finance.

So far I have found several Universities that offer courses in this area and was just wondering if anyone had information about what Universities are respected by real estate companies and which aren't for this specific area.

I thought the Msc Finance and Real Estate at Aberdeen seemed very good, I also like the look of the MPhil Real Estate Finance at Cambridge. I looked at Reading but it seemed they were more focussed in surveying rather the investment side of real estate. Is this true? Are they also strong in real estate finance?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on good Universities and Universities/ courses I should avoid.
Original post by tpdRE
Hi all,

I'm currently in my final year of my undergraduate degree and am looking to start a career within real estate finance/ acquisition/ development. As my degree isn't real estate focussed I have been looking at master degrees within Real Estate Finance.

So far I have found several Universities that offer courses in this area and was just wondering if anyone had information about what Universities are respected by real estate companies and which aren't for this specific area.

I thought the Msc Finance and Real Estate at Aberdeen seemed very good, I also like the look of the MPhil Real Estate Finance at Cambridge. I looked at Reading but it seemed they were more focussed in surveying rather the investment side of real estate. Is this true? Are they also strong in real estate finance?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on good Universities and Universities/ courses I should avoid.

I think the general consensus is that Reading is the clear leader for Real Estate courses in the UK. Just had a look at their modules and basically all of them are real estate finance or simply finance courses so not sure what you mean about them being mainly a out surveying.

I'm pretty sure the other good unis for real estate master's are Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Cass (Bayes) and Manchester. Not heard anyone talk about Aberdeen's if I'm being 100% honest
Henley Reading business school is clear leader in UK. I have known people who did their undergrad in Land economy at Cambridge and then gone to do their Masters in real estate investment and finance at Reading. Masters there can either be towards the development side or surveying side or investment management / fund management side so they have all bases covered.

Cambridge Mphil real estate finance is also good but some have said is more academic with less practical application. Reading had good blend from both theory to practical application. Cambridge course seems to be running of the name brand. If ideal goal was working in real estate private equity or some area of real estate fund management /Finance in UK or Europe then Henley Reading business school is no 1. However, consesus was if you were wanting to work in US, although Reading might get you there, Cambridge would probably be best as you're going of the name brand - most will only know of Oxbridge.

REPUTATION wise for real estate postgrad would rank -
1.Reading Henley business School
2. Cambridge
3. CASS

Then the rest. UCL seems to be more known in planning and LSE seems not very well known in real estate (trading of their brand name) and more academic.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Hello, which universities are best for planning and real estate undergrad?
Thinking of Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle. Thanks

Quick Reply