Evil eye on grades

Watch
This discussion is closed.
hello83
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have been getting As in my a levels which are very hard and I’m always hearing people about how clever I am, some even say they wish they had my brain. Can I get evil eye from this, should I stop sharing my grades?
sufys12
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hello83)
I have been getting As in my a levels which are very hard and I’m always hearing people about how clever I am, some even say they wish they had my brain. Can I get evil eye from this, should I stop sharing my grades?
Most people don't believe in evil eye.
It's superstition, just ignore it.
If you don't want to you don't have to share your grades.
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No, you cannot get ‘evil eye’ from people admiring your intelligence.
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi there

Perhaps only tell you're immediate family and if others ask about you're grades/ studies just say you're doing well and not explicitly tell them the grade.

Are you muslim by any chance?
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
No. Why would you get an evil eye over this? :confused:
Porridge9280
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
what is evil eye
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No. Most people do not have the skills or knowledge to successfully curse you.
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
No. Why would you get an evil eye over this? :confused:
It's because other apparently other Asian parents/adults can envy others whose children are performing better than their own kids and so want their kids not be as successful as their own.
pacemerchant
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Porridge9280)
what is evil eye
its the belief where when people are jealous / envious / wish bad on you, then something will happen to you. i.e., if you flaunt your new car, and ppl are jealous, you might crash your car
Porridge9280
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pacemerchant)
its the belief where when people are jealous / envious / wish bad on you, then something will happen to you. i.e., if you flaunt your new car, and ppl are jealous, you might crash your car
so nothing real then. have I just stumbled onto witch craft TSR?
0ptics
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
It's because other apparently other Asian parents/adults can envy others whose children are performing better than their own kids and so want their kids not be as successful as their own.
That makes sense. Assuming this is the case (which it probably is), it’s sickening that they’re resorting to old superstition just to validate their children. Absolutely vile. :yucky:
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know what evil eye is but certainly people can get jealous
hello83
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m muslim, so for all you non Muslims that’s are trying to butt in saying that this is wrong, I’m not asking you can stay out of it. This question is for Muslims
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pacemerchant)
Hey I'm pretty sure I helped you on the medics thread re Newcastle. Are you also muslim?
pacemerchant
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hey I'm pretty sure I helped you on the medics thread re Newcastle. Are you also muslim?
hi yes you did, thank you again for that, and yes i am
Last edited by pacemerchant; 1 week ago
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
That makes sense. Assuming this is the case (which it probably is), it’s sickening that they’re resorting to old superstition just to validate their children. Absolutely vile. :yucky:
Asian people in particular are more likely to be I'm afraid.

OP also ask your family not to tell others about your grades and ensure you/they don't openly share on their social media results day slips etc.
0ptics
Report 1 week ago
I’m muslim, so for all you non Muslims that’s are trying to butt in saying that this is wrong, I’m not asking you can stay out of it. This question is for Muslims
No it isn’t. OP didn’t say “only Muslims can answer this” did they? This is a public thread and, therefore, anyone can answer.

Edit: didn’t know I was talking to the OP themself but the public thread point still stays.
Last edited by 0ptics; 1 week ago
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Then ask it on a Muslim forum. Personally I'm quite disturbed that a potential medic could believe stuff like this....I hope I never encounter you in a professional capacity.
0ptics
Report 1 week ago
Asian people in particular are more likely to be I'm afraid.

OP also ask your family not to tell others about your grades and ensure you/they don't openly share on their social media results day slips etc.
PRSOM.
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Your post didn't say you only wanted opinions from Muslims. How were we supposed to know that? The evil eye belief isn't exclusive to Islam, so it's reasonable to assume other people would respond if you don't specify who you want opinions from.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.26%
October 2021 (221)
44.56%
November 2021 (59)
11.9%
December 2021 (64)
12.9%
January 2021 (58)
11.69%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.67%