The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EOData
Then ask it on a Muslim forum. Personally I'm quite disturbed that a potential medic could believe stuff like this....I hope I never encounter you in a professional capacity.

That's a bit harsh though :creep:, there are many faiths and religions that are very superstitious (even by tradition alone). Many believe in ghosts even when being a free-thinker themselves.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0ptics
No it isn’t. OP didn’t say “only Muslims can answer this” did they? This is a public thread and, therefore, anyone can answer.

Edit: didn’t know I was talking to the OP themself but the public thread point still stays.

PRSOM to you too.

OP you didn't clarify this in your thread. It's not others fault they're not aware of the term and they're only trying to understand so they can help you. You can't disrespect people like this in the future.

To all those who have replied despite not being aware of "Evil eye" I apologise on behalf of the OP.
Thanks for trying to help too :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hello83
I’m muslim, so for all you non Muslims that’s are trying to butt in saying that this is wrong, I’m not asking you can stay out of it. This question is for Muslims

I'm Muslim, and I said evil eye is nonsensical.
it's not really a muslim thing, hindus have it as well
Original post by hungrysalamander
That's assuming that they'll do well in their interview and Idk if OP is a potential medic.

The OP isn't an aspiring medic - it was another user I helped on the medics forum.

@EOData I apologise for the OP's behavior.
Original post by Porridge9280
so nothing real then. have I just stumbled onto witch craft TSR?

I thought TSR was supposed to be a community for people of all backgrounds??

very disrespectful to someone's culture or religion to call the evil eye witchcraft :s-smilie:
Original post by EOData
Then ask it on a Muslim forum. Personally I'm quite disturbed that a potential medic could believe stuff like this....I hope I never encounter you in a professional capacity.

wow this is so rude 😂 im an aspiring vet, and I believe in the evil eye and jinxing things. and what? as long as I can save their dog I don't think most owners would give a damn about what i believe in. why is everyone so small minded these days and so disrespectful about other people's culture? do white people think they own the internet and every platform on it and have the audacity to belittle someone else's beliefs??

half of the NHS is asian, don't be disrespectful.
Reply 27
Original post by aliaa03
wow this is so rude 😂 im an aspiring vet, and I believe in the evil eye and jinxing things. and what? as long as I can save their dog I don't think most owners would give a damn about what i believe in. why is everyone so small minded these days and so disrespectful about other people's culture? do white people think they own the internet and every platform on it and have the audacity to belittle someone else's beliefs??

It would make me doubt their ability to apply evidence based medicine, hence my reluctance to want treatment from someone who thought this.
Original post by EOData
It would make me doubt their ability to apply evidence based medicine, hence my reluctance to want treatment from someone who thought this.

every doctor in the NHS is fully trained and qualified and has passed multiple hard exams to get to where they are. it doesn't matter what they believe in as long as they can do the job.

so when a muslim or hindu thinks that showing off their grades or wealth could bring them bad luck, its witchcraft and makes them a poor doctor, but when a WHITE person goes "touchwood" and taps their head or wood so they don't jinx something, which I've seen hundreds of times, its fine??? seems like double standards??? 😂
Original post by aliaa03
every doctor in the NHS is fully trained and qualified and has passed multiple hard exams to get to where they are. it doesn't matter what they believe in as long as they can do the job.

so when a muslim or hindu thinks that showing off their grades or wealth could bring them bad luck, its witchcraft and makes them a poor doctor, but when a WHITE person goes "touchwood" and taps their head or wood so they don't jinx something, which I've seen hundreds of times, its fine??? seems like double standards??? 😂

This is very true.

If someone's personal beliefs were considered concerning they wouldn't be allowed to practice.
Original post by EOData

so evidence based medicine can only carried out by atheists? if they've passed all the relevant tests and are deemed clinically competent i don't see the issue - seems to me you have a problem against religion in general, not just if they are a medic. why do you think that ppl with certain beliefs arent able to carry out evidence based medicine, there is no link, causation, or correlation
Original post by hello83
I’m muslim, so for all you non Muslims that’s are trying to butt in saying that this is wrong, I’m not asking you can stay out of it. This question is for Muslims

The evil eye is believed by people of all religions, I have seen many Hindus and some Sikhs wearing the evil eye as a necklace/bracelet etc. so not only Muslims believe in this.
Original post by aliaa03
I thought TSR was supposed to be a community for people of all backgrounds??

very disrespectful to someone's culture or religion to call the evil eye witchcraft :s-smilie:

It is a diverse community, and this comes with some people who may not have been fortunate enough to be raised in a multi-cultural environment, and we should be mindful of this. I think explaining clearly is better than patronising them and almost blaming then for not knowing.

It is understandable to compare it to witchcraft. Not everyone may think of that an an insult. Many people dislike and even despise superstitions, that isn't uncommon at all.
Original post by pacemerchant
so evidence based medicine can only carried out by atheists? if they've passed all the relevant tests and are deemed clinically competent i don't see the issue - seems to me you have a problem against religion in general, not just if they are a medic. why do you think that ppl with certain beliefs arent able to carry out evidence based medicine, there is no link, causation, or correlation

:smile: yes!
Reply 33
Original post by Roses.Are.Red
It is a diverse community, and this comes with some people who may not have been fortunate enough to be raised in a multi-cultural environment, and we should be mindful of this. I think explaining clearly is better than patronising them and almost blaming then for not knowing.

Whilst it is true that they may not have had a lot of exposure to different cultures, I don't think that can justify being ignorant. A simple google search would have told them what it is or if they were unsure they could've just asked without needing to compare it to witchcraft.
Reply 34
Original post by aliaa03

As far as I know people don't actually think touching wood has the slightest effect, it's just a habit they've acquired but if they are serious then I'd think the less of them too.
Reply 35
Original post by EOData
As far as I know people don't actually think touching wood has the slightest effect, it's just a habit they've acquired but if they are serious then I'd think the less of them too.

so would you ask your doctor if they were religious or had any beliefs and then refuse to be treated by them if they did?
Original post by EOData

that's nice :smile: for me personally I'd rather be treated by the doctor that believes in the evil eye but knows what they're doing, than the doctor who's a bit ignorant and disrespectful to other people's cultures 😂

PRSOM:smile:
Original post by aliaa03

PRSOM:smile:
What's confusing me is the whole premise, to be honest. 44% of A level grades were at A or higher last year. Is the OP suggesting that these people are putting the evil eye on almost half of all A level candidates? So why him, an A student? Why wouldn't they target the A* students?

I mean, maybe they are trying to affect huge numbers of people. Maybe the number of top grades will absolutely plummet this summer, and then we'll all know that the evil eye really works. I'm not holding my breath.

Latest

Trending

Trending