Can you get a student loan for a foundation year if you have previous BA/MA quals?

Watch
RSmith83
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Does anyone know if the following is possible?

I need to complete a foundation year course to give me the pre requisites for an Msci Physiotherapy degree.

I am a mature student and don’t have the finances to stop working whilst completing these and want to know if I would be entitled to a student loan whilst completing the Foundation year, if studied at university?

I already have a BSc, PGCE and MA diploma (from 12* years ago) and accessed student loans then. Does anyone know if I would be eligible for it this time around or if a Physiotherapy degree with a foundation year would be my best option? My preference is on the Msci due to the field I already work in and intend to work in.

Thanks
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
If it's an integrated part of a qualifying exception course I believe you should get funding for the foundation year as well (e.g. it's a 5 year MSci Physiotherapy with Foundation Year course with a unique UCAS code for that course). If it's a separate/unlinked foundation year (e.g. at another uni or for another course at the same uni) then most likely you would not get funding for it, I think.

One of the SFE reps can hopefully confirm though soon
RSmith83
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
If it's an integrated part of a qualifying exception course I believe you should get funding for the foundation year as well (e.g. it's a 5 year MSci Physiotherapy with Foundation Year course with a unique UCAS code for that course). If it's a separate/unlinked foundation year (e.g. at another uni or for another course at the same uni) then most likely you would not get funding for it, I think.

One of the SFE reps can hopefully confirm though soon
Thanks, that’s what I needed to clarify. This foundation year would allow me to progress on to the course offer for 2023 at that university but is a stand alone year.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RSmith83)
Thanks, that’s what I needed to clarify. This foundation year would allow me to progress on to the course offer for 2023 at that university but is a stand alone year.
Well wait and see what the official SFE rep says but I imagine you would have to self fund the foundation year in that case
RSmith83
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well wait and see what the official SFE rep says but I imagine you would have to self fund the foundation year in that case
I’m holding on to all hopes that as I didn’t access a +1 year for my undergraduate degree I could use it for this. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RSmith83)
I’m holding on to all hopes that as I didn’t access a +1 year for my undergraduate degree I could use it for this. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
Unfortunately that's not how it works :/ it'll be based on equivalent or lower qualification rules which will rule you out unless doing an exception course
RSmith83
Rep:
Unfortunately it’s not an exception course, it’s acting as the necessary additional credits and subjects that are pre requisites for the physio degree; my previous career was as an Assistant Headteacher so it’s all education-based qualifications that I have:
BA Joint Hons social science (2002-2005)
Primary PGCE (2006-7)
Then MA diplomas in Special Needs were all part time and funded by the local authority at the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (28)
7.11%
October 2021 (179)
45.43%
November 2021 (42)
10.66%
December 2021 (53)
13.45%
January 2021 (43)
10.91%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.64%