The Student Room Group

What gcses do i need to become a film director

Hi there, i have to choose my gcses in the next 2 weeks and i’m struggling to decide which ones to choose. I have a passion for film/directing or production. Anything to do with advertising to films really. My schools options are:

compulsory: english lit, english language, maths, science and pe

I have to choose 4 of these:
Art
DT
Food Tech
Fashion and textiles
photography
geography
history
religious studies
french
german
spanish
dance
drama
music
music tech
separate sciences
business studies
Btec Tech awards digital information technology
Computer Science
Health and social care (btec)
Media studies
Physiology
GCSE PE
Thank you.
-A
I don't think your GCSEs will really matter tbh. If you go college and/or uni to study something in film you'll get a job in the industry, doesn't matter whether you did fashion or food tech when you were 16.

Just pick something you enjoy, GCSEs are so irrelevant in my opinion.
Original post by sundayblues
I don't think your GCSEs will really matter tbh. If you go college and/or uni to study something in film you'll get a job in the industry, doesn't matter whether you did fashion or food tech when you were 16.

Just pick something you enjoy, GCSEs are so irrelevant in my opinion.

But if you're really that stressed about it I would say photography because cameras lol. Idk what media studies is though is that related
Original post by alxna_jxnes
Hi there, i have to choose my gcses in the next 2 weeks and i’m struggling to decide which ones to choose. I have a passion for film/directing or production. Anything to do with advertising to films really. My schools options are:

compulsory: english lit, english language, maths, science and pe

I have to choose 4 of these:
Art
DT
Food Tech
Fashion and textiles
photography
geography
history
religious studies
french
german
spanish
dance
drama
music
music tech
separate sciences
business studies
Btec Tech awards digital information technology
Computer Science
Health and social care (btec)
Media studies
Physiology
GCSE PE
Thank you.
-A

GCSE aren't really the most important when seeking higher education (except A-Levels as those are your only formal assessment). If you are considering to applying to the top-tier unviresities or are in competition with another candidate for a job they can be used as a tiebreaker. Obviously some GCSE options are rated higher e.g. Modern Foreign Languages, Triple Science and Humanities. If you already know what subjects you would like to take for A-Level or even your university choice it is good to check out any specific requirements for the course/university as that is important. It is also a good idea to take a variety of subjects e.g:Btec Tech awards digital information technology, Spanish, Music and Geography. Maybe a range of GCSEs and BTECs. Ultimately, it is all up to you! As long as you are happy with your choices then it is fine. Make sure you are comfortable and familiar with your choices you will be fine. If you want to learn more about a subject you want to take find the exam board your school uses, this should be found on a website or if not ask your teachers to the specification. The Exam Boards are: AQA, Edexcel(Pearson), OCR, WJEC(also known as Eduqas) and more, However these are the main ones. It nice to see you have such a wide range of options :smile:. I wish you the best of luck with your options.
I hoped my reply helped(I apologise in advance for any gramatical errors I was in a rush)
If you have anymore questions feel free to leave them down below)
Reply 4
Original post by bOb_BoB12
GCSE aren't really the most important when seeking higher education (except A-Levels as those are your only formal assessment). If you are considering to applying to the top-tier unviresities or are in competition with another candidate for a job they can be used as a tiebreaker. Obviously some GCSE options are rated higher e.g. Modern Foreign Languages, Triple Science and Humanities. If you already know what subjects you would like to take for A-Level or even your university choice it is good to check out any specific requirements for the course/university as that is important. It is also a good idea to take a variety of subjects e.g:Btec Tech awards digital information technology, Spanish, Music and Geography. Maybe a range of GCSEs and BTECs. Ultimately, it is all up to you! As long as you are happy with your choices then it is fine. Make sure you are comfortable and familiar with your choices you will be fine. If you want to learn more about a subject you want to take find the exam board your school uses, this should be found on a website or if not ask your teachers to the specification. The Exam Boards are: AQA, Edexcel(Pearson), OCR, WJEC(also known as Eduqas) and more, However these are the main ones. It nice to see you have such a wide range of options :smile:. I wish you the best of luck with your options.
I hoped my reply helped(I apologise in advance for any gramatical errors I was in a rush)
If you have anymore questions feel free to leave them down below)

Thank you so much, this really helped :smile:!!

Quick Reply

Latest