am I fit enough to become a dentist?

Watch
nikta
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi i dont usually ask things on here but i would really appreciate advice from this. Im not naturally a smart person , I have to revise hours on end every single day to achieve moderately good grades , however even times I will revise for weeks and hours and still end up with very low grades . Despite this, I am always determined to put in work no matter how long , but this will decrease my work:life balance which could also result in a low grade either way.
Is dentistry the right path for me? Ive wondered this as Id love to do dentistry but I very highly doubt that I am fittest for this path. I am currently not doing so well in maths no matter how hard I try . What if I try the same amount in dentistry and just cant seem to get anything out? Dentistry is already competitive and hard is my not very naturally smart self even fitted for this career? Please be brutally honest thank you. For refrence I am in Y12 , first year of A levels
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
What are your GCSE's and year 12 mocks like?
What revision techniques do you use?
Have you gotten work experience?
Natural intelligence only gets someone to a certain point, everything else they do to reach their goal will be from their own work and effort and you sound like you have a decent work ethic.
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nikta)
hi i dont usually ask things on here but i would really appreciate advice from this. Im not naturally a smart person , I have to revise hours on end every single day to achieve moderately good grades , however even times I will revise for weeks and hours and still end up with very low grades . Despite this, I am always determined to put in work no matter how long , but this will decrease my work:life balance which could also result in a low grade either way.
Is dentistry the right path for me? Ive wondered this as Id love to do dentistry but I very highly doubt that I am fittest for this path. I am currently not doing so well in maths no matter how hard I try . What if I try the same amount in dentistry and just cant seem to get anything out? Dentistry is already competitive and hard is my not very naturally smart self even fitted for this career? Please be brutally honest thank you. For refrence I am in Y12 , first year of A levels
In terms of revision, you may find that you are not revising effectively. How do you revise?

For the dentistry part Mesopotamian., could you help? (you're the only dentist I know on here)
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chris01928)
In terms of revision, you may find that you are not revising effectively. How do you revise?

For the dentistry part Mesopotamian., could you help? (you're the only dentist I know on here)
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Spoiler:
Show
Oh ****...
Spoiler:
Show
you're one too?
Spoiler:
Show
I thought you applied to medicine?
Spoiler:
Show
:creep:My bad
Spoiler:
Show
Are you an applicant or a student?

hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Spoiler:
Show
Oh ****...
Spoiler:
Show
you're one too?
Spoiler:
Show
I thought you applied to medicine?
Spoiler:
Show
:creep:My bad
Spoiler:
Show
Are you an applicant or a student?

1st year dental student
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
1st year dental student
Ooo. I thought I've seen you on medicine threads, how are you finding it? What uni are you going to?

Feel free not to answer
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Ooo. I thought I've seen you on medicine threads, how are you finding it? What uni are you going to?

Feel free not to answer
Yeah I post on the medicine forum as well because most dentistry advice applies to medicine.
Spoiler:
Show
It's also because I know too much about medicine as I was the only dental applicant at my school; everyone else applied to medicine so all the discussion with them always end up being about medicine.

I have exams next week that I feel ok about. It's just a alot of content to memorise right now and having to find techniques to study anatomy as we don't study that at A-level.
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I post on the medicine forum as well because most dentistry advice applies to medicine.
Spoiler:
Show
It's also because I know too much about medicine as I was the only dental applicant at my school; everyone else applied to medicine so all the discussion with them always end up being about medicine.

I have exams next week that I feel ok about. It's just a alot of content to memorise right now and having to find techniques to study anatomy as we don't study that at A-level.
Ahh fair enough, I thought you might be one of those scary people who do dentistry and medicine to do maxillofacial.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to dealing with anatomy (I can't think of a better way to phrase that at 2 am) but not learning it. I have only heard bad things about it:cry2:

Best of luck
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Ahh fair enough, I thought you might be one of those scary people who do dentistry and medicine to do maxillofacial.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to dealing with anatomy (I can't think of a better way to phrase that at 2 am) but not learning it. I have only heard bad things about it:cry2:

Best of luck
I mean I'm trying to keep an open mind to all dental specialities but maxillofacial already intimidates me. Anatomy is interesting but it feels like learning another language with all the latin. I found that flashcards and 3d models are really good at helping you revise anatomy.
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I mean I'm trying to keep an open mind to all dental specialities but maxillofacial already intimidates me. Anatomy is interesting but it feels like learning another language with all the latin. I found that flashcards and 3d models are really good at helping you revise anatomy.
I had a bursary in 6th form and I got a tablet with the intention of using it for anatomy because of how intricate it is. YEah not looking forward to the Latin, at least science nomenclature makes sense most of the time
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You don’t need to be smart to be able to do dentistry, and neither do you need to come out with the top grades whilst doing the degree it self - I know people who have survived their entire degree by just/comfortably passing. You do actually need to pass every exam however.

However, you do need to have reasonably good grades to actually apply for dentistry. You will need at least AAA (in some schools, A*AA) to apply and a good set of GCSEs.

Maths is not required for dentistry so you could consider swapping it for another subject if you’re allowed to do so (although it might be too late given the timing).

Why exactly do you have trouble academically? Is it a problem with understanding content or executing exam technique?

Thanks for the tag
nikta
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You don’t need to be smart to be able to do dentistry, and neither do you need to come out with the top grades whilst doing the degree it self - I know people who have survived their entire degree by just/comfortably passing. You do actually need to pass every exam however.

However, you do need to have reasonably good grades to actually apply for dentistry. You will need at least AAA (in some schools, A*AA) to apply and a good set of GCSEs.

Maths is not required for dentistry so you could consider swapping it for another subject if you’re allowed to do so (although it might be too late given the timing).

Why exactly do you have trouble academically? Is it a problem with understanding content or executing exam technique?

Thanks for the tag
Hi thanks for replying , Im in year 12 and still havent mastered all of the exam techniques yet and i often make a lot of small mistakes . my problem is that i take a very long time to master small concepts and with dentistry that has such large concepts im not sure how i would manage ? Im just a little scared seeing as how hard dentistry can be
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nikta)
Hi thanks for replying , Im in year 12 and still havent mastered all of the exam techniques yet and i often make a lot of small mistakes . my problem is that i take a very long time to master small concepts and with dentistry that has such large concepts im not sure how i would manage ? Im just a little scared seeing as how hard dentistry can be
You still have time to learn exam technique but you need to do a lot of past papers and understand what the mark schemes want you to do.

Ultimately, your past and near future achievements in exams will indicate whether you will be able to manage a dentistry degree. Not everyone learns concepts quickly - that is not really a massive issue. It’s more that you need to be able to learn everything in time for exams, which as I said your past and future performance will indicate. First and second year in particular are incredibly content heavy, but most of it is memorising information rather than understanding a complex concept.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.65%
October 2021 (244)
45.1%
November 2021 (65)
12.01%
December 2021 (69)
12.75%
January 2021 (66)
12.2%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
8.13%