The Student Room Group

Trying to decide which university to go to

So I've picked my options and am starting to hear back from places, but keep going in this cycle on which one I want to pick so was wondering if people could give me some pointers about these options

I'm looking to study Finance and accounting at either:

- Bournemouth University
- University Kent
- University of West England
- University of Surrey

Any help would be greatly appreciated, wether what it's like to live there, about the course itself just anything good or bad.

Thank you in advance
Original post by threeportdrift

Surrey

Kent

Don't pay for Uni, get an apprenticeship

I find your title ironic “Careers Forum Helper

You’re not being very helpful to this user at all. I suggest you delete your post or actually HELP but either way you need to apologise to the user publicly, considering you chose to post publicly, and be contrite about your unacceptable behaviour.

Just putting stuff like this is not productive at all. They asked a clear question, you failed to answer the question and just put random stuff with absolutely no explanation at all.
In your post you’re coming across as very disrespectful, flippant and dismissive of a serious question that the user is obviously very anxious and stressed about and one that could have a massive impact on their future life
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you have offers from all of them? Are they all the same offer? Are any of them for results which, if you're honest with yourself, you are unlikely to get? What I'm saying is that it's not a good idea to set your heart on something which turns out to be unattainable, so put that filter on first.

Once you've done that, I'd suggest the next thing is to take a trip to as many as you can. You'll be living there for several years, you don't want to show up somewhere and hate it on sight, even if everyone else loves it. If you have the chance of an offer holders day,that's a good way to get to see everything and talk to people about the course, but if not, just go and have a walk around, both where you'll be studying and where you'll be living, if they're different.

Is cost an issue? What's the accommodation cost (and availability) like - if you want to live in halls will you be able to? Are you a big city person or do you like a bit of greenery around?

Good luck, and when it comes to wanting to live somewhere, trust your instincts rather than what other people think. I loathed living in Manchester, while I know loads of people who loved it. It's very personal.
Original post by MedicWil

You’re not being very helpful to this user at all. I suggest you delete your post or actually HELP but either way you need to apologise to the user publicly, considering you chose to post publicly, and be contrite about your unacceptable behaviour.

Just putting stuff like this is not productive at all. They asked a clear question, you failed to answer the question and just put random stuff with absolutely no explanation at all.
In your post you’re coming across as very disrespectful, flippant and dismissive of a serious question that the user is obviously very anxious and stressed about and one that could have a massive impact on their future life

Their answer was brief but, to me at least, quite clear. Choose Surrey first, Kent second and rather than attend either of the others try to get an apprenticeship. While the OP asked for information about the courses and locations they also requested "any help".

@HazzaAnd do any of them offer a year in industry?
Original post by HazzaAnd
So I've picked my options and am starting to hear back from places, but keep going in this cycle on which one I want to pick so was wondering if people could give me some pointers about these options

- Bournemouth University
- University Kent
- University of Surrey

Any help would be greatly appreciated, wether what it's like to live there, about the course itself just anything good or bad.

Thank you in advance

Are any of those with a year in industry? What grades are they wanting ...

As places to live I'd go with Kent.
Original post by MedicWil

no the person is correct, there's no point of wasting time in a bad uni
Surrey and Kent are sensible Unis - the other two are not really worth the ££ for a professional degree.

And yes, big accountancy firms run traineeships and degree-apprenticeships which give you a good job, a qualification and a decent salary - see https://www.wikijob.co.uk/content/industry/accountancy-professional-services/accountancy-apprenticeships and https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/degree-apprenticeships

- Bournemouth University
- University Kent
- University of Surrey

Thank you in advance

Hi there,

To introduce myself I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

It's a tough decision to decide what university is better for you. However, some tips include looking closer into each course, the modules etc. From there, have a general idea of what path you like better, what modules appeal to you more. You can also look at the university itself, compare the universities based on facilities, support or anything you think is important to you for a university to have. Finally, you can have a look at the accommodation or the town. That way, you are considering many factors that may help you decide. I would also suggest speaking to your family and friends about each university and seeing which one you're more passionate about when talking to them.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions or want to find out more about Surrey, please let me know! :smile:

Joao
Economics
Reply 8
Op - what are your expected a level grades?

- Bournemouth University
- University Kent
- University of Surrey

Thank you in advance

Hi!
I’m Tracy and I’m a second year student at the University of Kent. Unfortunately I’m not an Economics student but from the information I’ve gathered, student satisfaction was quite high throughout 2021. I will copy the link to the university’s official page below for you to look at in your own time. The site gives a brief introduction to the course which is actually quite interesting and it breaks down all the modules available in all three stages of your learning experience. The course also offers either a year abroad or one in the industry, which is an amazing opportunity to have a feel of what it’s like to apply your knowledge to the workplace or experience learning in another country!

This page is very extensive: there is a section on student experience which I believe might help you get a clearer idea of what it is like to study Economics at Kent. If you are interested you could also look at the accommodation page as that would also play a role in your decision making process.

Overall, Kent has plenty of departments that help students develop as well rounded individuals, so you could join more academic groups or sport/music/journaling etc societies to pursue your interests, whichever they might might be :smile:

https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/109/economics

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Tracy
-UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending