Picked wrong subjects now don't know what to do.

Watch
emma45556
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For the past few years I've been 100% sure I wanted to work in the film industry. So I took film studies, sociology and history for a level because I thought it wouldn't matter, but recently I've lost the passion for film I had and don't know what to do. I'm in year 12, and it's too far in to change subjects. I'm so annoyed because I took easy subjects that aren't compatible for different careers. What do I do?
juicygcse
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emma45556)
For the past few years I've been 100% sure I wanted to work in the film industry. So I took film studies, sociology and history for a level because I thought it wouldn't matter, but recently I've lost the passion for film I had and don't know what to do. I'm in year 12, and it's too far in to change subjects. I'm so annoyed because I took easy subjects that aren't compatible for different careers. What do I do?
They're fine subjects - I can assure you history is not easy! Sure, you won't be getting into a STEM subject (unless you take a foundation year), but you can still do loads of courses. What other uni options are you considering?
Last edited by juicygcse; 1 week ago
BrainDrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by juicygcse)
They're fine subjects - I can assure you history is not easy! Sure, you won't be getting into a STEM subject (unless you take a foundation year), but you can still do loads of courses. What other uni options are you considering?
Yes I agree, your other two subjects are fine, but you will need to do well in whichever subject you go on to study, and history for example can get you into loads of jobs but like jucygcse posted it is not an easy subject at all, so you need to have something of a passion for it ...good luck.
emma45556
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by juicygcse)
Thank you for the reassurance! (: I'm not sure yet at all to be honest, I just feel so lost without having a goal that I'm sure of. I still like sociology & history a lot though, but I'm not sure what jobs they could take me into if I do them at uni.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emma45556)
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-leve...ociology?o=210
Loads of ideas, best matching, close matching and unexpected matches ...
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
As above, don't panic - there are lots of social science and humanities degree subejcts that dont ask for specific A level subjects, just grades - Law, American Studies, Social Work, Philosophy, Teaching, Liberal Arts etc etc. Just have a look down this list of degree subjects and check the entry requirements : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/

And if you now decide you want to do Sciences at Uni there are Foundation courses that allow you to switch direction - one example : https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...s/science.page
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.47%
October 2021 (252)
45.32%
November 2021 (66)
11.87%
December 2021 (69)
12.41%
January 2021 (72)
12.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
7.91%