Average GCSE results for a Cambridge uni applicant?

Watch
MayaVellichor
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi!
I was just wondering what the average GCSE results results for a Cambridge uni offer (I know that they are not the most important part of the application, but I was just curious to look at the statistics)
Thank you!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MayaVellichor)
Hi!
I was just wondering what the average GCSE results results for a Cambridge uni offer (I know that they are not the most important part of the application, but I was just curious to look at the statistics)
Thank you!
Does it matter?

Correlation =/= causation since Cambridge states that they don't really put too much emphasis on GCSE (for med school anyway), yet people who are likely to get A*s are also more likely to have had Grade 9s in GCSEs. So you may well get a very high number of Grade 8 / 9s.

If you have Grade 6 / 7s across the board, but think you can improve to get A*s in A-Levels, then why not give Cambridge a try.

Bottom line: there isn't a hard GCSE requirement like Oxford, and comparatively speaking Cambridge is much more "GCSE-light" so make sure you focus on your A-Levels if the latter is where you're aspiring to go to.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
MayaVellichor
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Does it matter?

Correlation =/= causation since Cambridge states that they don't really put too much emphasis on GCSE (for med school anyway), yet people who are likely to get A*s are also more likely to have had Grade 9s in GCSEs. So you may well get a very high number of Grade 8 / 9s.

If you have Grade 6 / 7s across the board, but think you can improve to get A*s in A-Levels, then why not give Cambridge a try.

Bottom line: there isn't a hard GCSE requirement like Oxford, and comparatively speaking Cambridge is much more "GCSE-light" so make sure you focus on your A-Levels if the latter is where you're aspiring to go to.
OK, thank you!
beatriceb1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi there! I didn’t achieve so well at GCSE in comparison to what you think are expected of Oxbridge applicants: 66666666788D

However, at A-Level, things took a turn (party attributed to the fact that it is a much better school than my secondary school) and I applied with A*A*A*A.

Do not worry too much about GCSE’s, focus at A-Level and building your extra-curricula’s linked to your preferred course! Then just apply! Worst comes to worse you get rejected but life continues on! Wishing you the best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7%
October 2021 (116)
47.74%
November 2021 (24)
9.88%
December 2021 (32)
13.17%
January 2021 (21)
8.64%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.7%