The Student Room Group

Is worth doing an access course for law

I was thinking about applying for law at the University of Essex however I was wondering if I would be better off doing a access to he as I would need to do the degree with a foundation year regardless. I'm not expecting to get into Cambridge or lse but I could get into the Bristol , uea etc however as my gcse grades are average and my levels are in art subjects. Would it be worth the stress?

Would I be better off doing a degree with a higher earning potential and do a senior status llb after as I'm a mature student who would like to have a decent salary and be able to rent my own place.

Previous advice I have had is to do a degree in social work as it's a guaranteed job with an average earning of 28 k a year with hardly any experience and some people get job offers before finishing their degree. I have countless books in psychology and sociology, plus I like law and it's moreless a combination of all study wise.

I feel like I would prefer law but I don't want to be stuck not being able to get a job. I wouldn't be so worried about it if the university rank didn't matter so much for law firms .
Reply 1
I agree that you may be likely to get a job more easily as a social worker than a lawyer.
Being a social worker can be a stressful job.
Not trying to put you off but the social workers I work with are pretty stressed and it is not a job I would want for that reason. I guess it depends where you work.
I guess being a lawyer can be very stressful too.
I would do some more research into both careers to decide what you would like to do.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rose_99
I was thinking about applying for law at the University of Essex however I was wondering if I would be better off doing a access to he as I would need to do the degree with a foundation year regardless. I'm not expecting to get into Cambridge or lse but I could get into the Bristol , uea etc however as my gcse grades are average and my levels are in art subjects. Would it be worth the stress?

Would I be better off doing a degree with a higher earning potential and do a senior status llb after as I'm a mature student who would like to have a decent salary and be able to rent my own place.

Previous advice I have had is to do a degree in social work as it's a guaranteed job with an average earning of 28 k a year with hardly any experience and some people get job offers before finishing their degree. I have countless books in psychology and sociology, plus I like law and it's moreless a combination of all study wise.

I feel like I would prefer law but I don't want to be stuck not being able to get a job. I wouldn't be so worried about it if the university rank didn't matter so much for law firms .

Hey @Rose_99 :smile:

Just saw you mentioned UEA so wanted to drop by and say hello! I hope you figure out what is right for you. If at any point you have any questions about UEA or being a student in Norwich at all then feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to help. Good luck with everything!

Danielle
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest