Markvokin
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Hi,

I am in yr 12 and i just received my results for a test i did on monday. I got 16/70 which is an E. That is horrendous, i knew i was going to get low but no that low. I missed out some question because i had not even one clue on how to answer them, these questions were on moles or equations. The test i did in october i got 9/45 which was U. These grades are sos bad i want to apply for Dentistry and i need an A*. I don't know anything in chemistry, i am two modules behind, i don't know how i can balance everything. Everyone in my class is excelling i feel like the dumbest one there. There's this one kid who laughed in my face when i said i wanted to get an A*. My mental health is deteriorating. I am thinking of getting a tutor but i have had tutors in past and none were helpful as either they're teaching method was bad or i didn't want to put in the effort. I don't even know how i to actually use a tutor properly. It's just too much and i feel so overwhelmed.
khakigreen20
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 day ago
Hi I was in the exact same place as you last year and getting E s in Chem and I never thought I could get A*s however duting my march mocks of year 12 I used the cgp STUDENT BOOK not the revision guide + allerys chem (I did ocr a btw) topic vids + topic questions and tbh the maths you just have to bang qs and all the other chem gets more repetitive .

I did this in a week bcz my mum took my phone and i was like might as well use my time but yh
once uve done that make sure to read ahead WATCH ALLERY CHEM TOPIC look up on youtube module 2.2.1 or watever module ure doing
if you feel overwhelmed take a whole day just to plan out everything u need to do and dw u have a lot of time left

soz my grammar is so bad here but yh
ayesha_15
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Hey, it’s perfectly normal to get bad grades at the start of year 12, you’re new to a level and it’s a massive jump from GCSEs but you can definitely get better grades, all you have to do is lotssss of exam practice, try searching up your exam board and going onto actual papers and just scroll thru the papers and find questions related to the topic that ur on, also use chemrevise, it is such an amazing website as it shows you how to answer questions and explains everything concisely, but good luck I hope it all goes well for you!
Last edited by ayesha_15; 1 day ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Markvokin)
Hi,

I am in yr 12 and i just received my results for a test i did on monday. I got 16/70 which is an E. That is horrendous, i knew i was going to get low but no that low. I missed out some question because i had not even one clue on how to answer them, these questions were on moles or equations. The test i did in october i got 9/45 which was U. These grades are sos bad i want to apply for Dentistry and i need an A*. I don't know anything in chemistry, i am two modules behind, i don't know how i can balance everything. Everyone in my class is excelling i feel like the dumbest one there. There's this one kid who laughed in my face when i said i wanted to get an A*. My mental health is deteriorating. I am thinking of getting a tutor but i have had tutors in past and none were helpful as either they're teaching method was bad or i didn't want to put in the effort. I don't even know how i to actually use a tutor properly. It's just too much and i feel so overwhelmed.
Speak to your teacher and get their advice.
6Marn
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Markvokin)
Hi,

I'm in year 12 too and I was performing terribly at the start of the year. I was hardly getting any of the question right in my chemistry class and I had no motivation whatsoever. Everyone in my class is so so so talented and I feel like the odd one out. I was so mentally distraught because I left myself down.

What I did was told myself you have to do this! I want to go into pharmacy which is competitive and the moment I slack, that is another chance for someone to take my place in university. You have to motivate yourself because in the end it will be you going to university and studying dentistry. Not your teachers or friends but you. You have to realise that none of this is going to get easier in the future so you have to make it easier NOW.

You should do a lot of research about people who have chosen your course and what they had to do because most likely they struggled too. There are websites you can use to help for chemistry e.g physics and maths tutor, mathsmadeeasy (for past paper revision), revision guides like cgp.

I can say I am much better right now than I was at that start of september last year because I spoke to my teachers and asked for help. It may seem scary or whatever but it helps in the long run and saves you so much stress. I hope this helped x
dbhc2411
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Ask yourself if you enjoy chemistry. If you enjoy chemistry, use that as your driver for success. Plan out with your teacher key areas of revision and things to go over (they will probably help you in their own time with this).

If you hate chemistry - I'd think twice about applying for dentistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.31%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.01%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (213)
46.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads