Passport countersign

Watch this thread
Tee100x
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If you don't really know anyone how can you get someone to countersign your passport clarifying that they know you? Well the passport office accept if you don't keep in contact with people or know anyone really?
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tee100x)
If you don't really know anyone how can you get someone to countersign your passport clarifying that they know you? Well the passport office accept if you don't keep in contact with people or know anyone really?
Surprisingly, they do check on these things!

The list of possible countersignatories is very long; I have copied it below. If there is a good reason why nobody has known you for the required two years (eg you were abroad and have only recently arrived in the UK) then this can be explained and it will be accepted, as long as it can be proved to be true.

If you look at the list, you will see that the vast majority of people are going to find someone who could be the countersignatory: a chemist where you pick up your prescriptions; your GP or dentist, or a nurse working in the practice; anyone involved in running a charity; all your teachers and lecturers... If you have an account with a physical bank or insurance company (rather than online) then any officials working there can also countersign - they "know" the client through the account.

Examples of "people of good standing in their community"

accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank or building society official
barrister
chairman or director of a limited company
chiropodist
commissioner for oaths
councillor, for example local or county
civil servant (permanent)
dentist
director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary, for example a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
licensee of a public house
local government officer
manager or personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
nurse (RGN or RMN)
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
person with honours, for example an OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer (professional)
police officer
Post Office official
president or secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher or lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent (qualified)
valuer or auctioneer (fellow or associate members of the incorporated society)
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
Surprisingly, they do check on these things!

The list of possible countersignatories is very long; I have copied it below. If there is a good reason why nobody has known you for the required two years (eg you were abroad and have only recently arrived in the UK) then this can be explained and it will be accepted, as long as it can be proved to be true.

If you look at the list, you will see that the vast majority of people are going to find someone who could be the countersignatory: a chemist where you pick up your prescriptions; your GP or dentist, or a nurse working in the practice; anyone involved in running a charity; all your teachers and lecturers... If you have an account with a physical bank or insurance company (rather than online) then any officials working there can also countersign - they "know" the client through the account.
What you're missing is this bit from https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Who can sign your form and photo

Your countersignatory must:

• have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years

• be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
If you showed my photo to staff in the chemist I use, or my GP's surgery, they wouldn't be able to tell you who I was -- and that's the level of recognition you need.

And my bank and insurance company don't have my photograph on record.

Before Covid I visited my local bank branch perhaps once a month; but they allowed me to transact on my account by virtue of me having a bank card and knowing its PIN. There's no reason they'd need to look at my name. (The best I suspect they'd be able to do if you showed them my picture is say "yes, he pops in every few weeks" -- they wouldn't say, "oh yes, that's martin7")

Teachers/lecturers, on the other hand might well know you from your photo. Certainly when I was at secondary school there would have been lots of teachers who could have countersigned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (22)
37.93%
The paper was reasonable (21)
36.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
17.24%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
8.62%

Watched Threads