french speaking

Watch this thread
ello-ello-ello
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
How do people do well in French speaking (grade 8/9)? I had a french mock recently (I do cie) and it went terribly, it's so hard! I learnt all the speaking questions but the teacher asked different questions to the ones I had prepared!
Tino2005
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
hi,
from what I see in my school lots of people change their phone language to the language they are learning, in your case french, so they get accustomed to reading and understanding the language. Some also have it so they have to speak in french for their phone to do different things, i.e open apps etc. I'm not sure how you do the second one but the first one is quite simple to do.
And on the problem with question prep, there is not much chance in the questions you have memorised to come up all you can do is do a lot of practice questions and hope for the best.

Hope this helps.
(got 29/30 in most recent speaking mock)
teddybear4444h
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ello-ello-ello)
How do people do well in French speaking (grade 8/9)? I had a french mock recently (I do cie) and it went terribly, it's so hard! I learnt all the speaking questions but the teacher asked different questions to the ones I had prepared!
Hiya
Ur teacher should have used the questions u did
If u didn’t do well it was the teachers fault
I do a level french and my best advice is just to practice and try and read aloud french texts whether this be lyrics a book or news articles
Another good thing to do that may also help with the other sections of ur exam as well is to listen to french music to hear pronunciation and a really good site to learn about France is https://www.1jour1actu.com/ where u can listen to lots of different videos for pronunciation but u can also slow them down and it is in language u should be able to understand as it is aimed at younger people in France
I feel I should put that I didn’t end up doing my speaking exam and my teacher gave me a distinction even tho she thought I was a mute- but I do do speaking now with my new French teachers
Last edited by teddybear4444h; 5 months ago
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ello-ello-ello)
Hi there.

Learning set answers for different Qs isn't an effective way to revise. I recommend knowing a few generic french phrases which you can incorporate into multiple conversations e.g. I went to a restaurant with my friend and ate.... could come under holidays, food and weekend activities for example.

Another thing I recommend is to learn sophisticated phrases which you can include in your speaking e.g. "Apres avoir vu la carte" would be a great advanced language feature to include when responding to the what is there on the photo Q. Other good words/phrases such as "malheuresement"(unfortunately) and "en revanche" (on the other hand) can be used to make your language seem more complex.

Best wishes for your speaking.
From an ex A level French student.
Last edited by TriplexA; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (7)
28%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (11)
44%
First aid skills (2)
8%
Personal safety skills (0)
0%
Sign language (4)
16%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads