Studying Classics without having done Latin or a language at GCSE

Watch this thread
Gion
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want to study Classics at university but I didn't do Latin or a modern foreign language at GCSE. Will the fact that I didn't do them hold me back from getting into a top university?
Last edited by Gion; 4 months ago
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Well first of all, it depends whether you're wanting Classics, Classical Civilisation, or Classical Studies.

Classical Civilisation and Classical Studies don't necessarily require you to take any language modules during your degree, so in theory you can get away with never studying Latin or Ancient Greece at all by picking all non-language modules (although you can choose the language modules if you prefer - I'm doing Classical Studies and I'm opting to do 60 credits of Latin as part of my degree).

Classics almost certainly will require you to study some Latin during your degree, however as not all that many schools offer GCSE or A Level Latin, universities don't automatically assume that you'll have previously studied an ancient language.

Cambridge states that if you have studied A Level Latin, you can study your Classics degree with them over 3 years, whereas if you have not previously studied Latin, your Classics degree will be over 4 years.

So, in short, don't worry too much about not having studied an ancient language before.

As for not having taken a modern foreign language, that shouldn't matter at all.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 4 months ago
melancollege
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Latin and Greek GCSEs and A-Levels aren't very common, particularly among state schools, so there is rarely the requirement to have done them. I'm not sure how much not having any languages would affect you, but if they're not requirements then you should be fine.

It may be worth having a look at some Greek and Latin before you start, just to make sure it's right for you. I'd recommend having a look at Taylor's Greek to GCSE and Latin to GCSE.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Classical Studies doesnt require a language :
Bristol - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...sical-studies/
RHUL - https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/stud...ssical-studies
Reading - https://www.reading.ac.uk/events/sit...21/classics-ug
heiaiahgs
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As well as everything people are saying you should look at Greek or Latin summer schools, and there are usually bursaries available
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads