The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School Additional Criteria

Hello Everyone,

I have come at a slight issue, I want to apply for the Sutton trust summer schools however I don't reach all of the additional criteria.

The addition requirements are as follows,

Have achieved at least five GCSEs at grades 9 6, including English and Maths. A minimum of two of these qualifications should be at grades 9 7
- I meet these grade requirements

Would be in the first generation of your family to attend university
- my mum nor dad haven't attended university

Have been in receipt of Free School Meals whilst at secondary school
- During primary school I was, however during secondary I wasn't

Attend a school or college with a below-average A-level or Higher point score and/or a low rate of progression to higher education
- Looking at 2019 A level Progress scores my school has a 0.3 score which ranks it 212 out of 4508 sixth forms in England, I do attend a state school.

Live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression to higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation
- After checking the office of young students data, my postcode doesn't reach this requirement nor is it in the uni connect program

Have been looked after or in care
- No

The reason why I am concerned is because on the website for Sutton trust it states that at least 100% of our students had reached 3 additional criteria in our 2021 cohort. I do qualify for 2 of the requirements. I am very grateful that I don't meet some of the criteria but in no means does it mean I come from a upper/middle class family

Is it even worth for me to apply?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zayyan_9283
Hello Everyone,

I have come at a slight issue, I want to apply for the Sutton trust summer schools however I don't reach all of the additional criteria.

The addition requirements are as follows,

Have achieved at least five GCSEs at grades 9 6, including English and Maths. A minimum of two of these qualifications should be at grades 9 7
- I meet these grade requirements

Would be in the first generation of your family to attend university
- my mum nor dad haven't attended university

Have been in receipt of Free School Meals whilst at secondary school
- During primary school I was, however during secondary I wasn't

Attend a school or college with a below-average A-level or Higher point score and/or a low rate of progression to higher education
- Looking at 2019 A level Progress scores my school has a 0.3 score which ranks it 212 out of 4508 sixth forms in England, I do attend a state school.

Live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression to higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation
- After checking the office of young students data, my postcode doesn't reach this requirement nor is it in the uni connect program

Have been looked after or in care
- No

The reason why I am concerned is because on the website for Sutton trust it states that at least 100% of our students had reached 3 additional criteria in our 2021 cohort. I do qualify for 2 of the requirements. I am very grateful that I don't meet some of the criteria but in no means does it mean I come from a upper/middle class family

Is it even worth for me to apply?

I really think you should give it a shot and still apply! I did a sutton trust school in 2021 and it is such a good experience :smile: The application process isn't too long or complicated so please still give it a go because I think you have a good chance of getting in. If on the application there is an opportunity for you to give extra details then maybe you could say that you had FSM in primary school to improve your chances? Best wishes and I hope you get in!
Reply 2
Original post by JessicaKaur04
I really think you should give it a shot and still apply! I did a sutton trust school in 2021 and it is such a good experience :smile: The application process isn't too long or complicated so please still give it a go because I think you have a good chance of getting in. If on the application there is an opportunity for you to give extra details then maybe you could say that you had FSM in primary school to improve your chances? Best wishes and I hope you get in!

Thanks for your response, I will certainly apply. If you don't mind me asking may I ask what summer school you chose and, did it help with Uni applications?
Original post by Zayyan_9283
Thanks for your response, I will certainly apply. If you don't mind me asking may I ask what summer school you chose and, did it help with Uni applications?

I chose the University of Nottingham for Psychology, Sociology and Criminology- it definitely helped because it gave me something good to talk about on my application and Nottingham have also given a reduced offer for Psychology BBB instead of the usual AAB!

Quick Reply

Latest