The Student Room Group

Does LSE or UCL or KCL do adjustment for business degree? (about 2022)

My IB predicted grades were 34, so I couldn't apply to those universities, which I wanted. However, I was wondering if I do much better in a real exam can I still get into those unis? (e.g. IB 43)
Original post by ibismylife
My IB predicted grades were 34, so I couldn't apply to those universities, which I wanted. However, I was wondering if I do much better in a real exam can I still get into those unis? (e.g. IB 43)

I don't think adjustment is happening this year. If you think you will do significantly better in your actual exams, take a gap year and apply with your grades. With 43, every uni would be open to you.
Reply 2
Original post by booklover1313
I don't think adjustment is happening this year. If you think you will do significantly better in your actual exams, take a gap year and apply with your grades. With 43, every uni would be open to you.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate that!
In the case of reapply thing, will I have to take the exam again?? Bc if so, it's a dangerous decision since there is no guarantee that I can manage the same score like 43.
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate that!
In the case of reapply thing, will I have to take the exam again?? Bc if so, it's a dangerous decision since there is no guarantee that I can manage the same score like 43.

If you apply when you are in your second year of the IB, you will be applying to uni with your predicted grades, so for you that is a 34. If you take the exams in May, receive your grades and then apply the following October (or from September-January), you will already have your IB grades achieved. Unis would then give you an unconditional offer because you have already met the entry requirements. So you don't need to re-sit the IB!
If you do chose to apply after taking the exams, you would be on a gap year and start uni the September of the year AFTER you sat your IB exams.
Reply 4
If you apply when you are in your second year of the IB, you will be applying to uni with your predicted grades, so for you that is a 34. If you take the exams in May, receive your grades and then apply the following October (or from September-January), you will already have your IB grades achieved. Unis would then give you an unconditional offer because you have already met the entry requirements. So you don't need to re-sit the IB!
If you do chose to apply after taking the exams, you would be on a gap year and start uni the September of the year AFTER you sat your IB exam.

Everything is clear echo was confusing for me, now! Thank you!
though is that recommended? Like for example (my current best possible is SOAS since I got a 34 as a predicted grade) if I got let’s say 38 or 39 in a real exam, should I reapply to those mentioned unis?
as I don’t think I will go to SOAS I’m also considering Aus unis (bc they also check the real exam grades) such as university of syndney.
I mean, I’m not sure to what extent it’s valuable enough in terms of lse, ucl, kcl, etc…
what do you think?
Everything is clear echo was confusing for me, now! Thank you!
though is that recommended? Like for example (my current best possible is SOAS since I got a 34 as a predicted grade) if I got let’s say 38 or 39 in a real exam, should I reapply to those mentioned unis?
as I don’t think I will go to SOAS I’m also considering Aus unis (bc they also check the real exam grades) such as university of syndney.
I mean, I’m not sure to what extent it’s valuable enough in terms of lse, ucl, kcl, etc…
what do you think?

SOAS is a really good university, but more options would be open to you if you scored in the high 30s, so a 38 or 39. You could still apply to SOAS as an insurance option. I don't know what course you are applying for, and each will have different entry requirements, but remember that lots will depend on your score in your HL subjects, not just the total point score. So they might want 6,6,6 or 7,6,6 at HL as part of the 38.
Australian unis are good, they offer more degree flexibility than english ones, but places like LSE and UCL are ranked very highly.
It also depends what you want to do and the experience you are looking for. Do you want to be in London?

Maybe I'm biased, but I did the IB and then a gap year, and applied with my results. It was a lot less stressful, and also because you have your grades, you can be certain that you meet entry requirements. It also gives unis something concrete, they know you have achieved the grades.

Your application would be stronger if you applied after a gap year with a point score of 38 than if you apply with a predicted 34.
Reply 6
SOAS is a really good university, but more options would be open to you if you scored in the high 30s, so a 38 or 39. You could still apply to SOAS as an insurance option. I don't know what course you are applying for, and each will have different entry requirements, but remember that lots will depend on your score in your HL subjects, not just the total point score. So they might want 6,6,6 or 7,6,6 at HL as part of the 38.
Australian unis are good, they offer more degree flexibility than english ones, but places like LSE and UCL are ranked very highly.
It also depends what you want to do and the experience you are looking for. Do you want to be in London?

Maybe I'm biased, but I did the IB and then a gap year, and applied with my results. It was a lot less stressful, and also because you have your grades, you can be certain that you meet entry requirements. It also gives unis something concrete, they know you have achieved the grades.

Your application would be stronger if you applied after a gap year with a point score of 38 than if you apply with a predicted 34.

I know soas is a good uni in general, however, it's more like for the language or culture thing rather than social science like business management. (obviously this is just my opinion so...:smile:
I want to study business management at the university, as long as I know I'm not either a science person or a literature person. Also, for the job opportunity.
For the location of the university: since the tuition fee would be an international fee (even though I live in the UK with my family living year is not enough) for both Aus and the UK so they are the same option in terms of costs.
But I don't know I feel like like you mention those UK unis are more prestigious than Aus, especially for the business degrees.
(edited 2 years ago)
I know soas is a good uni in general, however, it's more like for the language or culture thing rather than social science like business management. (obviously this is just my opinion so...:smile:
I want to study business management at the university, as long as I know I'm not either a science person or a literature person. Also, for the job opportunity.
For the location of the university: since the tuition fee would be an international fee (even though I live in the UK with my family living year is not enough) for both Aus and the UK so they are the same option in terms of costs.
But I don't know I feel like like you mention those UK unis are more prestigious than Aus, especially for the business degrees.

If I were you, I would take a gap year and take the time to look more in-depth at the courses and unis. As I said, I think you will be in a better position to receive offers from the top unis if you have a score of 38 rather than 34. :smile:
Reply 8
If I were you, I would take a gap year and take the time to look more in-depth at the courses and unis. As I said, I think you will be in a better position to receive offers from the top unis if you have a score of 38 rather than 34. :smile:

Yup, I will consider that.
Thank you for giving me advice!

Quick Reply

Latest