The Student Room Group

Can bad nutrition = stubborn / recurring injuries?

If I'm living almost entirely off junk food, can that be part of the reason behind slow injury recovery aswell as stubborn / recurring injuries that keep coming back?

Bear in mind I've had my fair share of gym sessions in the past with personal trainers, and also plenty of physio visits for rehab exercises. So I generally know what I'm doing fitness-wise, for the most part anyway.

A few of my injuries (from years ago) have been partly down to improper form / training, but I really feel like the last few years have just revolved around physio appointments and rehab exercises.

I'm now thinking that all the junk food I've been eating during this time might be related? I read it increases inflammation and can result in slow recovery and more injuries / joint problems?
Yes, junk food is often lacking in many of the vitamins and minerals that are necessary for reasonably good health and wound recovery.
An unhealthy diet with too much saturated fats, refined sugar and sodium can result in serious vitamin deficiencies.

A balanced diet that contains vitamin c and zinc can be very helpful when trying to heal from injuries.
"The role of vitamin C and zinc is multifactorial in the wound healing process.
Vitamin C is an essential cofactor for collagen and protein synthesis of bones, skin, capillary walls and connective tissue as well as providing enhanced neutrophil function and angiogenesis which aide in its wound healing functions."
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, junk food is often lacking in many of the vitamins and minerals that are necessary for reasonably good health and wound recovery.
An unhealthy diet with too much saturated fats, refined sugar and sodium can result in serious vitamin deficiencies.

A balanced diet that contains vitamin c and zinc can be very helpful when trying to heal from injuries.
"The role of vitamin C and zinc is multifactorial in the wound healing process.
Vitamin C is an essential cofactor for collagen and protein synthesis of bones, skin, capillary walls and connective tissue as well as providing enhanced neutrophil function and angiogenesis which aide in its wound healing functions."

Thank you :smile: although the article refers to 'wounds' I imagine the same is true for injuries too

I've also just read the following article:
https://proximalhamstringtendinopathy.org/nutritionforpht

"Symptoms of deficiencies include muscle tics, tight muscles, numbness, tingling, headaches, insomnia, fatigue, muscle weakness, hair loss, dry scaly skin, palpitations and more."

...it's crazy just how much of the above list I can relate to!

Quick Reply

Latest