The Student Room Group

i have no idea what i wanna do with my life

im in year 12, im torn between computer science and medicine it changes everyday lately ive been leaning towards computer science because medicine seems like such a long and horrible path that fact that theres only a 10% acceptance rate is so scary and i dont know if i have that much dedication to it, but maybe itll change in future. ive chosen biology ( i like it and im confident i can get a good grade by the end of y13) same with computer science however chemistry is much harder for me and maybe if i work insanely hard i could get an okay grade. but for mocks i wont get a good grade for chem mostly, its in 2 weeks ill try as hard as i can obviously,

also how does it even work? do we apply to universities with our mock scores, but what if by then i still haven’t chosen what i want to go into, let alone the fact that it defo wont be good enough
Reply 1
Hi I’m in Year 11.

I think that if you are somewhat turned off and already quite dreading the work of medicine, then I think that’s a sign that you might not like it as a career in the future. It might not be worth the sleep lost, work load and burnout. For example, I thought of doing biology A level, but when I saw the videos of what you learn on free science lessons, my heart completely dropped - i knew I would hate it. And if you do change your mind, you still have the important A levels to do medicine, so you have a backup - and you want to do well in them anyway.

I guess just think about what you enjoy most and less about others, so you’re not miserable and so that ultimately, really, there’s a passion for the work you do - therefore the larger, good impact for yourself and other people is still there, from the work you do.

That’s where my advice ends, because I havent even started Alevels, so I can’t speak for ur uni problem.

I hope this helped because I went through similar stuff. Good luck and you will find a way to figure it out ✊✊
Mate you just have just begun year 12 relax :biggrin:. Don't bother looking at acceptance rates too much and focus more on what subjects you do and don't like and whether or not you care for them beyond the syllabus. This will be a good indicator of what you want to study. Also since Computer Science and Medicine are both very high paying fields I feel like its worth mentioning don't just apply for the salary. (Although, I'm sure you aren't)

For Chemistry just head over to physics and maths tutor and do topic questions. As someone who was dogshit at Chemistry GCSE, it helped a lot with A level Chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending