Can I get out of paying back student loan by renouncing my British citizenship?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm a dual national
Shedking
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
To be concise, legally, no.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
What has that got to do with the contract you signed with Sfe?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
What has that got to do with the contract you signed with Sfe?
Oh, I guess it doesn't. I've heard about British students moving abroad and never responding to any emails/letters by SFE to start paying it back. Apparently SFE don't chase people up about it that much if they leave the country. Seems like I could just ignore them
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh, I guess it doesn't. I've heard about British students moving abroad and never responding to any emails/letters by SFE to start paying it back. Apparently SFE don't chase people up about it that much if they leave the country. Seems like I could just ignore them
“Seems like I could just commit fraud to escape my financial responsibilities.”

Er, well yeah, you could.
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No. Pay ya debts ya scrote.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm a dual national
You'd also be a thief.

Why should I work hard and pay my taxes to support you, when you want to take money that could be better used elsewhere?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
You'd also be a thief.

Why should I work hard and pay my taxes to support you, when you want to take money that could be better used elsewhere?
Because Uni shouldn't cost money, I should not be obliged to pay for it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
No. Pay ya debts ya scrote.
Hey hold on now, the royal family are bigger scroungers than me and they don't get **** for it
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Okay, but they currently do?
Someone's hard work has gone into funding your loan so you can do a degree anywhere you'd like, it's only fair you pay back what has been given to you
One could argue we shouldn't need to pay a tax to our leaders, but we all pay it, instead of being ungrateful and looking for ways around it, maybe just pay it back? If you don't at least try to, it certainly says a lot about your character.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
Okay, but they currently do?
Someone's hard work has gone into funding your loan so you can do a degree anywhere you'd like, it's only fair you pay back what has been given to you
One could argue we shouldn't need to pay a tax to our leaders, but we all pay it, instead of being ungrateful and looking for ways around it, maybe just pay it back? If you don't at least try to, it certainly says a lot about your character.
Their hard work would have gone into it anyway if it were free?
Rufus The Red
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You weren't obliged to go to uni.
The easiest way to not have to pay would've been to not go to uni, however you went to uni and agreed that you'd pay off your student loan - whether university should be free or not is an entirely different question to 'should I commit a crime because I don't feel like paying the money I said that I would?'
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rufus The Red)
You weren't obliged to go to uni.
The easiest way to not have to pay would've been to not go to uni, however you went to uni and agreed that you'd pay off your student loan - whether university should be free or not is an entirely different question to 'should I commit a crime because I don't feel like paying the money I said that I would?'
Sure, its technically, legally a crime if I don't pay it back. But I don't think it is morally wrong at all.
Rufus The Red
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Sure, its technically, legally a crime if I don't pay it back. But I don't think it is morally wrong at all.
Then you have a skewed sense of morality.
As before, whether university should be made free or not is one question and whether you should break the law because you've changed your mind about wanting to pay for your education is an entirely different one.
You signed up for university and legally said 'I promise to pay this money back'. Id est, if you don't pay it back you are an untrustworthy person seeking to leach off the labours of others.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rufus The Red)
Then you have a skewed sense of morality.
As before, whether university should be made free or not is one question and whether you should break the law because you've changed your mind about wanting to pay for your education is an entirely different one.
You signed up for university and legally said 'I promise to pay this money back'. Id est, if you don't pay it back you are an untrustworthy person seeking to leach off the labours of others.
i suppose in that case taxes shouldn't cover healthcare for people with type 2 diabetes and other conditions which could have been avoided. it is leeching off the labour of others all the same
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm a dual national
so? you'd still have to pay it aha, they won't just write off thousands for changing your citizenship, they still have your name and all of your details so it's not like they can't find you.
also, I have family who now live in other countries and don't have a British citizenship anymore and they're still paying off their student loans.
loveforchelsea
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You weren't obliged to go to university either, yet you did.
wifd149
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i suppose in that case taxes shouldn't cover healthcare for people with type 2 diabetes and other conditions which could have been avoided. it is leeching off the labour of others all the same
Welfare, healthcare, and higher education arguably are very different in this context mate; university isn’t an actual necessity - higher* education is a privilege.

On the other hand, if you denounce your British citizenship, what’s your plan?
Last edited by wifd149; 3 months ago
coco:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yes but you're planning to run away from your problems but they can't just get up and run away from their diseases/conditions. They may have conditions that could've been avoided but there are much more social and economic factors at play than with you deciding to go to university and then changing your mind about paying back a loan you agreed with.
Last edited by coco:); 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wifd149)
Welfare, healthcare, and higher education arguably are very different in this context mate; university isn’t an actual necessity - higher* education is a privilege.

On the other hand, if you denounce your British citizenship, what’s your plan?
What makes something a necessity? Arguably free healthcare is a privilege too.

Live and work in the other country? Lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.5%
The paper was reasonable (132)
36.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.25%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed