SH - would you see someone differently if you found out?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Mostly a question for people of uni age and above.

How would you view someone who you thought highly of if you found out they were using SH as a coping mechanism? Would you see them differently? Would it shock you and what would you say to them (or would you just ignore it)?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Try and help them if possible, who is one to judge their pain? Certainly wouldnt shock though. It seems so common these days anyway. Although it might simply depend on what they do, some sh is much different than simply cutting your arms or whatnot
Not sure if id see them differently per-se, although, on the same token i dont think you couldnt see them not differently knowing that theyre in such a place that the only outlet is cutting or whatever.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
No, I wouldn't. I'd wonder what they'd experienced in their life to rely on that coping mechanism and hope that they felt able to open up about their struggles or feelings but I'd never bring up the subject myself.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

How would you view someone who you thought highly of if you found out they were using SH as a coping mechanism? Would you see them differently? Would it shock you and what would you say to them (or would you just ignore it)?
i wouldn't judge them. tried sh a couple times myself, in my early teens, altho for very different purposes (satanic rituals 😂) so sh for emotional reasons defo wouldn't shock me.
but i would introduce them to different coping mechanics because scars are sadly permanent.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thanks everyone
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi there,

My name is Eleanor and I'm a Student Ambassador at Coventry University.

I had a situation like this and no, I did not judge them. Instead, I tried to understand why they felt the need to do it and if there was any way to resolve it. In college and first year of University, I struggled with SH and only been two years clean thanks to me meeting wonderful people at University and also me just realising it wasn't helpful anymore and just a burden that I didn't really need on my back.

Ignoring it is the worst thing you can do for someone when they're in this situation. If you find someone struggling or someone tells you about their SH, it would be best to advise the school you're in as although that's frightening and not what that person wants, it's the best solution in moving that person closer to help and understanding themselves why they are doing this.
It'll also be ideal to push them to see a GP to discuss mental health and seeking help for such a thing- some people may be scared of getting help or don't want to change due to fear of failure or reverting back, but we need to normalise that people will relapse or have days where those urges are difficult to ignore, it's okay to fall down again but make sure to tell people so they can help you back on the right path where you belonged.

One of the things about SH is that it's addictive and so it'll be good to try and find a new hobby or something else to do when those feelings come to you or that person- such as drawing on your skin instead or exercising; running seems to help a lot of people with SH and mental health as you're letting out an overwhelming amount of energy in something healthy rather than bad.

University is also a great place for getting help, at Coventry University we push mental health awareness and have a great collection of helpers alike.

I hope you're okay and all the people around you who you may be worrying for, make sure you aren't carry around the burdens of another as it's not your responsibility to make someone happy if they aren't willing to fight for it themselves.

Here are some links of Mental Health Support if needed, numbers are on their websites:

Samaritans (Both have a number and online chat): https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-ca...act-samaritan/

YoungMinds Textline: https://www.youngminds.org.uk/young-...inds-textline/

Papyrus: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/get-in-touch/

El
SupposedlyIronic
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Not really, I'd just empathise and perhaps keep a bit more of an eye out
Last edited by SupposedlyIronic; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads