Dropping out after foundation year

Watch this thread
Bak01
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I will be dropping out of my uni after the foundation year due to multiple reasons but mainly due to mental health reasons. Though since I am doing it after the year I will have completed the foundation year so will get the A level equivalent which a foundation year provides.Do I have to tell the university about leaving after the foundation year prior to completion or after.
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
either, it doesn't really matter. there were people dropping out of my course in second year in the first week of term. I would just tell them now though so that they have plenty of notice and it looks a bit more polite.
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bak01)
I will be dropping out of my uni after the foundation year due to multiple reasons but mainly due to mental health reasons. Though since I am doing it after the year I will have completed the foundation year so will get the A level equivalent which a foundation year provides.Do I have to tell the university about leaving after the foundation year prior to completion or after.
Like the above user said, tell them now so they have plenty of notice
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You need to ask the university what award they will make if you pass the foundation year. This will not be a formally recognised qualification like A levels.
Bak01
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
You need to ask the university what award they will make if you pass the foundation year. This will not be a formally recognised qualification like A levels.
I would say it's an a level due to it being 6 modules each at 20 credits same as an a level
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bak01)
I would say it's an a level due to it being 6 modules each at 20 credits same as an a level
A levels are a recognised level 3 qualification awarded by an exam board.

A foundation year are university credits awarded by a university. Those credits are only officially recognised by the awarding university - there’s no quality assurance of university credits below level 4. Many universities will not issue an award or qualification for completion of a foundation year (they’re universities awarding HNC level 4 qualifications and above - not exam boards awarding level 3 qualifications). Instead the only proof of study will be a transcript of marks.

Read your course/program specification to see what early exit awards are offered.
Last edited by PQ; 3 months ago
Bak01
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
A levels are a recognised level 3 qualification awarded by an exam board.

A foundation year are university credits awarded by a university. Those credits are only officially recognised by the awarding university - there’s no quality assurance of university credits below level 4. Many universities will not issue an award or qualification for completion of a foundation year (they’re universities awarding HNC level 4 qualifications and above - not exam boards awarding level 3 qualifications). Instead the only proof of study will be a transcript of marks.

Read your course/program specification to see what early exit awards are offered.
It's an a level equivalent, already been through it with a family friend who's a teacher it's an a level equivalent
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bak01)
It's an a level equivalent, already been through it with a family friend who's a teacher it's an a level equivalent
The part in the program spec that details early exit awards should have referred to the regulations on withdrawing from the course too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
43.61%
Not yet, but I will soon (55)
17.13%
No (126)
39.25%

Watched Threads