Philosophy applied ethics

Watch this thread
freddyboxall
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What's the best way to structure an applied ethics 25 marker such as "Is lying wrong"?
Previously I wrote an essay like this that basically just went over moral theories so didn't argue my own standpoint meaning I got low marks.
AQA Spec
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by freddyboxall)
What's the best way to structure an applied ethics 25 marker such as "Is lying wrong"?
Previously I wrote an essay like this that basically just went over moral theories so didn't argue my own standpoint meaning I got low marks.
AQA Spec
You pick one or two normative ethical theories - they will have a judgement on whether lying is wrong (Kant - always wrong, Util and Virtue ethics - sometimes wrong) and then just bring in the standard issues/criticisms from the spec to criticise the normative ethical theorie(s). If you end up evaluating a theory to be correct, then it's judgement on whether lying is wrong would be your conclusion. If you can make the issues slightly relevant to lying, such as in illustrations, that would be ideal. For example, the issue for Kant regarding the value of consequences- you could use the illustration of the murderer at the door to challenge his view that lying is always wrong.

You can actually even include meta-ethics too - anti-realist theories would argue that there is no right or wrong, which means the proposition 'lying is wrong' cannot be true or false. Meta-ethics is hard though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (14)
21.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.77%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
6.15%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (9)
13.85%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
24.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
23.08%

Watched Threads