The Student Room Group

Calorie surplus

Hello I just need some help regarding calorie surplus

So I'm using the lifesum app.
I am 66kg and if I want to maintain my weight the app says I need to eat 1903 calories a day however I want to gain muscle so I need to eat 2403 calories a day. From 1903 to 2403 does that mean I am now in a calorie surplus?

I understand in a calorie surplus you Need to eat more calories than you burn. So per day If I am in a calorie surplus of 500 (from 1903 to 2403) does that mean I need to be losing 1903 calories a day?

I'm confused to how many calories I should be losing a day if I am eating 2403 calories
Reply 1
It's not clear what you mean by "losing calories". You don't need to be exercising to burn 1903 calories if that's what you mean. This is the amount of energy your body naturally burns just to stay alive, plus the amount burned by your usual daily activities. So just eat above 1903 calories per day to gain weight. This is of course an estimation by this app and it will never get it totally right for everyone. It gives you a good starting point and then you can adjust your calorie amount if your weight isn't changing the way you like.

Also, a 500 calorie surplus per day is a little bit too high for what as strictly required to build muscle, and you will gradually be gaining fat as well as muscle this way. The advantage here, is that you know you are definitely in a surplus even if say you accidentally eat 250 calories less than you meant some days. But the body definitely won't be using 500 calories per day to build only muscle. You can always cut later but just so you know, you'll gradually gain a bit of fat too.
Reply 2
Original post by Kyri
It's not clear what you mean by "losing calories". You don't need to be exercising to burn 1903 calories if that's what you mean. This is the amount of energy your body naturally burns just to stay alive, plus the amount burned by your usual daily activities. So just eat above 1903 calories per day to gain weight. This is of course an estimation by this app and it will never get it totally right for everyone. It gives you a good starting point and then you can adjust your calorie amount if your weight isn't changing the way you like.

Also, a 500 calorie surplus per day is a little bit too high for what as strictly required to build muscle, and you will gradually be gaining fat as well as muscle this way. The advantage here, is that you know you are definitely in a surplus even if say you accidentally eat 250 calories less than you meant some days. But the body definitely won't be using 500 calories per day to build only muscle. You can always cut later but just so you know, you'll gradually gain a bit of fat too.

The imagine I attached is why I thought I need to be burning 1903 so that way I am in a surplus of 500. I have now out my self in a surplus of 240 a day so that way I'm not going overboard. But to go back to your to what you said, do I need to be losing 1904 calories a day In order to reach my goal of gaining muscle?
Reply 3
You don't need to burn all 1903 calories through exercise. That screenshot you attached doesn't make it clear that the majority of calories you burn every day are from your body's essential processes keeping you alive, and you'd burn that energy even if you sat around and did nothing. So you don't need to exercise so much to burn 1903, as your body is always burning energy all day, even when you're sleeping.

To explain that a bit more, the energy your body burns on essential processes is called your basal metabolic rate. That might be 1700 calories or so, although it varies for every individual. Since most people do actually move during the day, this energy from movement gets added to the basal metabolic rate. So if your movement during the day requires 203 calories, your total daily energy expenditure is 1903. If you eat more calories than your total daily energy expenditure, your weight goes up. If you eat less than that, your weight goes down.

That 240 surplus sounds sensible and you'll avoid excessive fat gain.

Quick Reply

Latest