2 Open College A-Levels in 4.5 months??? Is it possible?

Watch this thread
RedFishMan1
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I currently study A-Level Philosophy and A-Level Psychology and have my exams this year in May. I actually enrolled on the course last year but only did about 20% of each course because im lazy af.

I'm looking for some advice on anybody who has completed 2 A-Level Courses at an open college? (OpenStudyCollege to be specific).

I really want to go to university this year. Is it worth trying to cram in 2 A-Levels in 4.5 months? Has anybody done this before? Any advice would be very helpful. I feel like i'm dying of stress lol

Should I pay £20/hr for a personal tutor? is it worth it?

Thanks,

J
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RedFishMan1)
Hello,

I currently study A-Level Philosophy and A-Level Psychology and have my exams this year in May. I actually enrolled on the course last year but only did about 20% of each course because im lazy af.

I'm looking for some advice on anybody who has completed 2 A-Level Courses at an open college? (OpenStudyCollege to be specific).

I really want to go to university this year. Is it worth trying to cram in 2 A-Levels in 4.5 months? Has anybody done this before? Any advice would be very helpful. I feel like i'm dying of stress lol

Should I pay £20/hr for a personal tutor? is it worth it?

Thanks,

J
Hi there!

This is a hard one - on the one hand you don't want to rush/cram your revision if your grades could suffer, on the other hand it might be worth it if it pays off and you get to uni. A tutor could really help, but it comes at a cost!

Don't stress - even if it doesn't work out this year you can always apply the next year

MP
RedFishMan1
Rep:
(Original post by Mythical Pingu)
Hi there!

This is a hard one - on the one hand you don't want to rush/cram your revision if your grades could suffer, on the other hand it might be worth it if it pays off and you get to uni. A tutor could really help, but it comes at a cost!

Don't stress - even if it doesn't work out this year you can always apply the next year

MP
Thank you for your reply. I'm considering getting a tutor but im not sure how much they would be able to help me as i'm studying an open college.

And yes I am considering missing this year out and going to uni next year but it will be a pain as i'm turning 22 this year
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for your reply. I'm considering getting a tutor but im not sure how much they would be able to help me as i'm studying an open college.

And yes I am considering missing this year out and going to uni next year but it will be a pain as i'm turning 22 this year
That's understandable. 22/23 is definitely not too late to go to uni, so don't worry about that. I'm not too familiar with open colleges, how does it work? Is the specification different from typical A-levels?

MP
justlearning1469
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there!

MP
Well, the OP can always try.

Worst comes to worst, use a mitigating circumstance to explain the poor results and try again.

Though the decent universities might not like resits. They would want 3 A-levels with A/A* in one sitting. Unless there were personal circumstances.
RedFishMan1
Rep:
That's understandable. 22/23 is definitely not too late to go to uni, so don't worry about that. I'm not too familiar with open colleges, how does it work? Is the specification different from typical A-levels?

MP
It is the same specification as a regular college, AQA to be exact. The course work is okay but it's difficult not having a teacher. My open college doesn't offer 1 on 1's either so it's hard to know what to revise. It's why I considered getting a tutor so I can at least talk to a teacher lol
RedFishMan1
Rep:
(Original post by justlearning1469)
Well, the OP can always try.

Worst comes to worst, use a mitigating circumstance to explain the poor results and try again.

Though the decent universities might not like resits. They would want 3 A-levels with A/A* in one sitting. Unless there were personal circumstances.
That is true. I want to do a Foundation Year at Royal Holoway to study Philosophy. it’s only 3 C's entry requirements. I think as I'm doing an open college I would rather do a foundation year anyway, just to ensure i'm prepared and not under qualified etc. It's just so much information man
justlearning1469
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That is true. I want to do a Foundation Year at Royal Holoway to study Philosophy. it’s only 3 C's entry requirements. I think as I'm doing an open college I would rather do a foundation year anyway, just to ensure i'm prepared and not under qualified etc. It's just so much information man
Well, if you do well enough, you can go straight to a degree.

Even if you can't, foundation year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads