im stuck on my gcse options

Watch this thread
dmitriyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
what im most likely to choose are history, geography and PE, however I also really want to do Latin, and I'm stuck because I'm, not sure what I should drop. It is most likely between geography and history as I really like PE, but im just wondering whether maybe dropping geography for Latin is a good idea.
mj04
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
If you were to drop either geography or history for latin, i would say drop geography as history seems to go better with latin. However if you are interested in science, especially biology if you are doing PE, geography links better with the sciences. Also, dont expect PE to be purely playing sports for 2 years as many people underestimate the coursework and classroom learning aspects.
dmitriyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If you dont mind me asking how does geo link with the sciences? Because i kinda wanna leave future optiond as open as possible so idont really know whether geo and science or history and latin would be better
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dmitriyy)
If you dont mind me asking how does geo link with the sciences? Because i kinda wanna leave future optiond as open as possible so idont really know whether geo and science or history and latin would be better
Geography will only matter if you are interested in geology or in other similar areas. The geography you learn in secondary or GCSEs are not very science-focused, they are more of a social studies kind of thing with occasional plate-movement and basic weather concepts.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Geography has links with science due to its climate and earth topics, it has transferable skills as well in terms of maths, analysing data, etc

GCSE options don't really matter as noone cares what you do for GCSE, people just want high grades. Many Level 3 courses (and even university courses for A-Level prerequisites) are willing to take on students with no prior GCSE experience - for example A-Level History doesn't always need History, although doing it before does help.

What do you want to do in the future, as if it has a clear pathway, it would make everyone's life easier. If you don't know what you want to do just pick what you enjoy
lwbch14
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
what im most likely to choose are history, geography and PE, however I also really want to do Latin, and I'm stuck because I'm, not sure what I should drop. It is most likely between geography and history as I really like PE, but im just wondering whether maybe dropping geography for Latin is a good idea.
Hi! I'm currently a year 11 and I do Latin and History. Latin is definitely very difficult, but it might be more so at my school because Latin is taught as a twilight subject. I would say Latin has definitely developed my analytical skills! My friends do geography and I've heard it's definitely less difficult than history, but at times it is also boring. My advice is definitely to look at past papers and figure out which topic you're doing, and whether or not they're interesting. I would say that some of the skills you learn in Latin are definitely specific to Latin, whereas the skills you learn in geography overlap with the other humanities and sciences. Personally, I would opt for Latin, especially because language skills are always appreciated, and it's also difficult to teach yourself Latin, whereas geography is easily learnt in a book.

From my friends who do PE: PE has a lot of overlap with Biology, and playing sports is always appreciated by employers etc.

Don't worry too much, GCSEs aren't the end of the world!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads