On chemotherapy and scared that scrapping restrictions will be dangerous?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
A friend of mine is undergoing treatment for a type of acute leukaemia. So far the doctor has said it’s ok for them to go out of they wear a mask, avoid crowds and keep hands clean but despite being fully vaccinated getting Covid or Omicron could be very dangerous for them.
Now the government is going to scrap mask rules and scrap any existing restrictions they are afraid to go out if nobody wears masks. They are at present highly susceptible to infections and have weak immunity. What should they do? Should they stay in get home deliveries etc?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
A friend of mine is undergoing treatment for a type of acute leukaemia. So far the doctor has said it’s ok for them to go out of they wear a mask, avoid crowds and keep hands clean but despite being fully vaccinated getting Covid or Omicron could be very dangerous for them.
Now the government is going to scrap mask rules and scrap any existing restrictions they are afraid to go out if nobody wears masks. They are at present highly susceptible to infections and have weak immunity. What should they do? Should they stay in get home deliveries etc?
Fully vaccinated but unable to have Covid booster due to start of treatment.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Home deliveries can still put you at risk - I know several people during previous lockdowns who got covid through getting deliveries (couldn't have gotten it any other way as they were shielding). And delivery people don't really seem to care much about social distancing - I have specifically asked people to leave deliveries outside my door yet they would still stand there and wait and give it to me in person even if I took ages to open the door.

I guess shielding until their treatment is over and they are less immunocompromised, and disinfecting all deliveries that come through the door would reduce their risk, but I can imagine it would be very difficult psychologically to isolate yourself when you are having cancer treatment. Ultimately, it is up to your friend to decide what they feel is right for them and all you can do is support them and do your part to keep them safe if you meet up with them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Home deliveries can still put you at risk - I know several people during previous lockdowns who got covid through getting deliveries (couldn't have gotten it any other way as they were shielding). And delivery people don't really seem to care much about social distancing - I have specifically asked people to leave deliveries outside my door yet they would still stand there and wait and give it to me in person even if I took ages to open the door.

I guess shielding until their treatment is over and they are less immunocompromised, and disinfecting all deliveries that come through the door would reduce their risk, but I can imagine it would be very difficult psychologically to isolate yourself when you are having cancer treatment. Ultimately, it is up to your friend to decide what they feel is right for them and all you can do is support them and do your part to keep them safe if you meet up with them.
I can get their food and supplies. I’m fully vaccinated including booster and I will wear a mask. But afraid if nobody else wears a mask I’m only half protected and I could become infected and pass it onto my friend. I’d feel so guilty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.22%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.94%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (13)
16.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.46%

Watched Threads