The Student Room Group

What happened to your uni relationship after graduation?

Hello, so I finished university, Bachelors, masters and PhD and now that I'm 29 and I am still single because my previous relationships in university all failed due to the circumstances. I'm just wondering what happened to everyones uni relationships after they graduated? Just curious.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BeeMithcell
Hello, so I finished university, Bachelors, masters and PhD and now that I'm 29 and I am still single because my previous relationships in university all failed due to the circumstances. I'm just wondering what happened to everyones uni relationships after they graduated? Just curious.

well, i had one and it failed miserably. i too have been in single since then LOL. i feel i have officially given up :|
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
well, i had one and it failed miserably. i too have been in single since then LOL. i feel i have officially given up :|

why did it fail?
why did it fail?

firstly, it was long distance. secondly, my partner simply fell out of love. he tried to justify it by saying "it is because of the circumstances we are in". but i knew it was a lie because he stopped loving me long time back - i could feel that whenever i was with him during the last months we spent together. i was heartbroken because i loved him immensely and never wanted to leave him.
Reply 4
Gf cheated not long after i finished uni, so that wasn't great.
Took a lot of months to fix myself, and been single since.
It gets much harder to meet people after uni, unless you're actively involved in commitments like sports or societies.
Reply 5
firstly, it was long distance. secondly, my partner simply fell out of love. he tried to justify it by saying "it is because of the circumstances we are in". but i knew it was a lie because he stopped loving me long time back - i could feel that whenever i was with him during the last months we spent together. i was heartbroken because i loved him immensely and never wanted to leave him.

Why did it become long distance? Did you move to different areas after you graduated?
Reply 6
Original post by Adz2042
Gf cheated not long after i finished uni, so that wasn't great.
Took a lot of months to fix myself, and been single since.
It gets much harder to meet people after uni, unless you're actively involved in commitments like sports or societies.

Did you guys move to the same city after graduation? And I agree that it is harder to meet people. I haven't met many people since I graduated my master's in 2017.
Why did it become long distance? Did you move to different areas after you graduated?

yes. he had got job in different city so he had to leave.
Reply 8
Did you guys move to the same city after graduation? And I agree that it is harder to meet people. I haven't met many people since I graduated my master's in 2017.

Nah, she went back to her city as did I.
Fortunately the distance wasn't the issue.
I just don't like cheaters.
Reply 9
yes. he had got job in different city so he had to leave.

That seems quite common after my long time in university, I have seen it happen so much.
Original post by Adz2042

I didn't find that at all, though I wasn't exactly a social butterfly at uni. I found being exposed to a much wider range of people, in terms of ages and backgrounds, made my social life more interesting than it had been at uni.
Original post by bendan88
I didn't find that at all, though I wasn't exactly a social butterfly at uni. I found being exposed to a much wider range of people, in terms of ages and backgrounds, made my social life more interesting than it had been at uni.

where did you go to meet them? Also are you talking about pre-COVID?
where did you go to meet them? Also are you talking about pre-COVID?

Yes, I'm talking pre-Covid. I found that in the outside world one network links with another network, so doing sports (for example) with people from work might lead to meeting some of their friends, which would then lead to further connections. Living alone rather than with others also made it much easier to invite people over for a meal/drink/film. That wouldn't be an option for most graduates in London because of the cost, but it's quite normal in many UK cities.

Another point is related to age. In your mid to late twenties, you have a fairly big potential dating pool. Maybe that's more relevant for men interested in women.
met my other half AFTER I graduated! been together 6 months nw

Quick Reply