french speaking

Watch this thread
Raspberri
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i really hate speaking exercises/exams but i know that i have to do them anyway . .. how can i make myself become more comfortable with it?
emrex03
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I know this sounds basic, but the most important way is to practice! If you go online and search for past speaking papers, do a speaking question every now and then and record yourself so you can assess how well you think you did and what you want to improve on. Also, knowing the content really well helps a lot!
Revising grammar and vocab is also good to make it sound smoother and more confident.

Hope that helps a bit!
loverofpasta
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I don’t do French but I do Spanish at A-levels- to make myself comfortable before I do a speaking I like to practice as much as possible so I know it off by heart. To make sure u don’t sound robotic you can record yourself and watch it back to see how u sound )
teddybear4444h
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Raspberri)
i really hate speaking exercises/exams but i know that i have to do them anyway . .. how can i make myself become more comfortable with it?
I do it a level and did it at GCSE (grade 9 & distinction) and unfortunately there’s no way to make it more comfortable (especially if ur teacher thinks ur mute like mine did) it’s awkward for everyone especially in a different language try and perfect pronunciation and vocab by listening to videos like on https://www.1jour1actu.com/ where u can slow down the video, listen to slowed down french music on YouTube (le festin by Camille is good and a song from ratatouille as well) also try duo lingo that helps u become a well rounded French learner and u can practice speaking with others if u get the app
Last edited by teddybear4444h; 3 months ago
Londonschoolgirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Watch videos of people speaking in that language. You can pick up SO MUCH from pronunciation to vocab and more!

Also, only use words you can pronounce or know what they sound like.

Make sure you're familiar with grammar and your tenses!!! You're doing French? Just stick to the basic tenses
It's way easier to say "Je vais manger" - I am going to eat
than "Je mangerai" - I will eat

Once you're comfortable, you can challenge yourself with some harder tenses

And, you actually have to SPEAK in the language, believe or not. Just practise speaking. Incorporate it in your daily life, imagine you're in France and you had to converse...

I'm assuming this is GCSE? For speaking, you will get to prepare what to say so don't worry too much. You can find the questions online to prepare, I think

I got a 9 in French and a distinction in the speaking so I hope this helped
Last edited by Londonschoolgirl; 3 months ago
Raspberri
Rep:
(Original post by Londonschoolgirl)
I'm assuming this is GCSE? For speaking, you will get to prepare what to say so don't worry too much. You can find the questions online to prepare, I think
i take it for a level, and the problem isn't so much that i don't know what to say, i just hate speaking. i feel like i sound stupid
Raspberri
Rep:
(Original post by teddybear4444h)
I do it a level and did it at GCSE (grade 9 & distinction) and unfortunately there’s no way to make it more comfortable (especially if ur teacher thinks ur mute like mine did) it’s awkward for everyone especially in a different language try and perfect pronunciation and vocab by listening to videos like on https://www.1jour1actu.com/ where u can slow down the video, listen to slowed down french music on YouTube (le festin by Camille is good and a song from ratatouille as well) also try duo lingo that helps u become a well rounded French learner and u can practice speaking with others if u get the app
:') thank you
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by teddybear4444h)
PRSOM.

Un jour un actu in particular is a really great and interesting site which you can use.

Ps. I think we've met before - you're the person whose french teacher thought they were mute?
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there.

Do you have more than one teacher? If so you could ask to try and do your mock exam with the other and see how it goes. I recall most people did not like our french speaking teacher so opted to do the "real thing" with our actual french teacher.

Best wishes.
teddybear4444h
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
PRSOM.

Un jour un actu in particular is a really great and interesting site which you can use.

Ps. I think we've met before - you're the person whose french teacher thought they were mute?
Yep-that’s me
Londonschoolgirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i take it for a level, and the problem isn't so much that i don't know what to say, i just hate speaking. i feel like i sound stupid
Ahh sorry for misunderstanding

I think it's just a confidence thing?
To get over it, just practise a lot. And think you sound good. The teacher will already know it's not your first language.

But again, if you watch loads of videos of people speaking, you can pick up the accents and pronunciation so it might help.
And since it's A level, I heard there's a presentation? Rlly just practice in front of the mirror or around ppl
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
34.83%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.73%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.11%

Watched Threads