'They' pronoun is confusing!!

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
He is mad.
She is mad.
They are mad.

'They' is when more than one person is mad, in my example.
But why do people refer to themselves as 'they'.

I know its a preference, but why?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
because they don't feel male or female
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
kayPak is this you?
whoever it is they are mad
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
because they don't feel male or female
if you don't feel either, then what do you feel?
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Despite finding the they pronoun weird as someone’s pronoun choice, “they” has existed as a non-specific pronoun in English for a very long time. For example, if the police are looking for an unknown suspect they could easily ask you “have you seen them? Did they go this way or that way?”
Last edited by Son of the Sea; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by the bear)
good pun.

but no, im not mad, im genuinely curious
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by the bear)
Actually, kay's pronouns are zie/zer.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Son of the Sea)
Despite finding the they pronoun weird as someone’s pronoun choice, “they” has existed as a non-specific pronoun in English for a very long time. For example, if the police are looking for an unknown suspect they could easily ask you “have you seen them? Did they go this way or that way?”
that would make sense in your context.
but in a broader sense, some people really like to have specifics attachted to titles, where it simply doesn't make sense to me. I'm not atttacking anyone, and if its your decision, then so be it, but i'm just curious as to why...
Anonymous #1
what makes someone wake up one day and say, i want to be a "they" because i don't

feel male or female
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what makes someone wake up one day and say, i want to be a "they" because i don't
Gender dysphoria, the point that you don't feel it mneans nothing because your experiences are not universal.

Also there is no reason for this thread or your comments to be made anonymously unless you are trying to be offensive without any repercussions.
jaesix
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
because someone who goes by the they pronoun identifies with genders that don't fall under the categories of male or female. the cause of gender dysphoria doesn't have a single clear answer so there really isn't much point with the continuous questions of "why". if that's what the person identifies as, it's not our place to judge or question. if they're a they, they're a they.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Son of the Sea)
in that case, care to explain what neopronouns are, where you can literally be called whatever you want?

my "pronouns" could be AK/47 - and that's what you're stuck with... so in a grammatical sense, where would that lie?

i don't mean to fire shots, but this one came out the barrel
zuluwarrior7650
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
in that case, care to explain what neopronouns are, where you can literally be called whatever you want?

my "pronouns" could be AK/47 - and that's what you're stuck with... so in a grammatical sense, where would that lie?

i don't mean to fire shots, but this one came out the barrel
Lmao
Talkative Toad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Don't see how they is weird, now pronouns like tree, cat, Zed etc imo are weird.
Other_Owl
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I was taught that they means more than one person.
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It's not an overnight decision. It's a gradual realisation that someone referring to you using "he" or "she" makes you feel uncomfortable, and the longer it goes on without being addressed the worse it feels.
black tea
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I don't know, it is not something I have personally experienced. But I would assume too much free time on their hands (this is meant to be sarcastic, before anyone feels the need to report)
Last edited by black tea; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jaesix)
because someone who goes by the they pronoun identifies with genders that don't fall under the categories of male or female. the cause of gender dysphoria doesn't have a single clear answer so there really isn't much point with the continuous questions of "why". if that's what the person identifies as, it's not our place to judge or question. if they're a they, they're a they.
(Original post by 1582)
It's not an overnight decision. It's a gradual realisation that someone referring to you using "he" or "she" makes you feel uncomfortable, and the longer it goes on without being addressed the worse it feels.
i now understand a little more. thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Other_Owl)
I was taught that they means more than one person.
my english teacher lied the whole time

I don't know, it is not something I have personally experienced. But I would assume too much free time on their hands.
i cant help but agree

(Original post by zuluwarrior7650)
Lmao
Shoudlnt it be "lol" to match ur pfp
username155270
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
That’s one thing I’m not willing to change.
I’m referring to people as a he or she.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads