lamia_bts
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've searched the web for Imperial college on their finance courses...
They don't seems to have a direct finance course but instead they have something like Mangament.. Idk..
And I wanna do investment banking in the future... But I don't wanna do a Management degree... 🙃😞😒😔
heccyeah
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lamia_bts)
They don't seems to have a direct finance course but instead they have something like Mangament.. Idk..
And I wanna do investment banking in the future... But I don't wanna do a Management degree... 🙃😞😒😔
don’t apply for imperial then
Manvith
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by heccyeah)
don’t apply for imperial then
Then what Universities are best to get a job in the banking sector. I am asking this question as an international student?
JadenRichie
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
study something you'll get good grades in, I do chemistry and have spring offers at places like Goldman and rothschild. Just be pick a degree you enjoy and work on building up other skills.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I am also having that doubt for a long time which universities in the uk are good for getting a job in the financial or banking sector? Asking as an international student?
J8674
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Manvith)
I am also having that doubt for a long time which universities in the uk are good for getting a job in the financial or banking sector? Asking as an international student?
Target: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial.

Higher Semi-Target: Durham, Bristol, Bath, Notts (in that order imo)

Go to any of these unis, get internships and work experience, put yourself out there, join finance societies. Just going to a target uni won't automatically get you an internship/job you need to do a heck of other things in conjunction (but going to the uni's above will help).
Manvith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J8674)

Go to any of these unis, get internships and work experience, put yourself out there, join finance societies. Just going to a target uni won't automatically get you an internship/job you need to do a heck of other things in conjunction (but going to the uni's above will help).
In the Higher Semi-Target: Durham, Bristol, Bath, Notts (in that order IMO) Line, does it mean Durham is 1st, Bristol is second, and Notts is last place in the higher semi targets or all are regarded as the same?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Believe it or not, Imperial is not the only university.
oci9
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JadenRichie)
study something you'll get good grades in, I do chemistry and have spring offers at places like Goldman and rothschild. Just be pick a degree you enjoy and work on building up other skills.
Totally agree with this fantastic point.
Do something you love and do well in it and offers open up, great advice!
Manvith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Believe it or not, Imperial is not the only university.
Could you please anser my post above?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
In the Higher Semi-Target: Durham, Bristol, Bath, Notts (in that order IMO) Line, does it mean Durham is 1st, Bristol is second, and Notts is last place in the higher semi targets or all are regarded as the same?
They are names commonly thrown around as 'semi targets' that said the recruiters are not hiring a university, they are hiring a person. The university kind of helps you not get filtered out but ultimately when in an interview/assessment centre they will look more at what you have achieved/done and how you perform in their recruitment processes.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
They are names commonly thrown around as 'semi targets' that said the recruiters are not hiring a university, they are hiring a person. The university kind of helps you not get filtered out but ultimately when in an interview/assessment centre they will look more at what you have achieved/done and how you perform in their recruitment processes.
What skills are required for these interviews and assessment centers and activities should a person participate or do whilst at university?
J8674
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you go by Linkedin stats in conjunction with prestige yes that order, but it is a marginal difference - you are splitting hair's between them.

(Original post by mnot)
Agreed 100%... but with stiff competition university typically does play a role in the early stages of acquiring an internship/job as you have mentioned. Once you get the interview and then go to the assessment centre it is a level playing field.
J8674
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
What skills are required for these interviews and assessment centers and activities should a person participate or do whilst at university?
Join Finance/Econ societies at the university a lot of them typically do have mock interviews/skill building games which are used at assessment centre's. Additionally the universities I previously mentioned have a strong finance societies as they are sponsored by some big names in the industry meaning that you will have some insight events with those firms as well. It is also highly beneficial if you can get some sort of leadership position (may be difficult in your first year but certainly not impossible)

HOWEVER the most important thing is getting internships which may not be at a large bank - even when you are submitting your spring week application you should have some experience. Leverage contacts from your family and if that does not work out, resort to cold emailing smaller boutique banks and ask them if they are willing to give you an internship for 2-4 weeks.

The most important thing at uni tho is to get a 2:1 or above.
JadenRichie
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J8674)
Join Finance/Econ societies at the university a lot of them typically do have mock interviews/skill building games which are used at assessment centre's. Additionally the universities I previously mentioned have a strong finance societies as they are sponsored by some big names in the industry meaning that you will have some insight events with those firms as well. It is also highly beneficial if you can get some sort of leadership position (may be difficult in your first year but certainly not impossible)

HOWEVER the most important thing is getting internships which may not be at a large bank - even when you are submitting your spring week application you should have some experience. Leverage contacts from your family and if that does not work out, resort to cold emailing smaller boutique banks and ask them if they are willing to give you an internship for 2-4 weeks.

The most important thing at uni tho is to get a 2:1 or above.
tbh you really don't need much relevant work ex for springs. I had nothing except some standard job and interesting EC's and landed a few BB/EBs.
Mock interviews are also pretty overrated imo, I think people over prepare for springs too much and forget the most important thing for most is applying early as possible. Even with a slightly weaker CV.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
tbh you really don't need much relevant work ex for springs. I had nothing except some standard job and interesting EC's and landed a few BB/EBs.
Mock interviews are also pretty overrated imo, I think people over prepare for springs too much and forget the most important thing for most is applying early as possible. Even with a slightly weaker CV.
Which type of extracurriculars do you have? and what type of extracurriculars activities would you recommend?
JadenRichie
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Which type of extracurriculars do you have? and what type of extracurriculars activities would you recommend?
I had/have all sorts tbh. Volunteering, sports, music etc. There's no formula to landing offers tbh, just be yourself and organise what you can organise: CV layout, reading around the industry etc. If you're actively copying other people for your CV then you're doing yourself a disservice as you won't stand out if that makes sense.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I had/have all sorts tbh. Volunteering, sports, music etc. There's no formula to landing offers tbh, just be yourself and organise what you can organise: CV layout, reading around the industry etc. If you're actively copying other people for your CV then you're doing yourself a disservice as you won't stand out if that makes sense.
Because you have so many types of extracurriculars it was easy to land spring weeks, hasn't it?

Which university did you go to and which course did you study?
ibby_1674
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J8674)

no manchester?
JadenRichie
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Because you have so many types of extracurriculars it was easy to land spring weeks, hasn't it?

Which university did you go to and which course did you study?
I only listed 3 on outwardly on my CV. I study chemistry at university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads